What should I upgrade to?

Nov 11, 2018
Motherboard: ASUSTeK m5a97 r2.0
Processor: AMD Athlon II x3 445
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
RAM: 12GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

So, long story short:
I got this old computer from my dad that I used to play on when I was younger. He tried to upgrade it with some parts he had lying around, but the processor and video card can't keep up with newer games. I have checked the other parts and it's only the processor and video card that are outdated. I was wondering what parts I should upgrade to instead? And should I change the motherboard as well? I can add further information if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

That is an AM3+ board so you COULD pick up an FX 6300, or even one of the FX 8 core beasties, and spiff up the...

That is an AM3+ board so you COULD pick up an FX 6300, or even one of the FX 8 core beasties, and spiff up the performance quite a bit from the Athlon you've got. That GTX 260 must be incredible bad so that would need an upgrade too...maybe a GTX1050/TI or RX560 only because anything more is an increasingly wasteful mismatch for an FX.

Still, have to say it's questionable value-wise unless you can find some reliable used hardware somewhere. The result will still not be stellar and is just pushing around the rubble, so to speak, with old tech. But you will be head and shoulders better than what you've got.

Solution