Question What should I upgrade to

jeffreyzhou3

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
I currently have a i5 6500 and asus b150m plus d3 mobo which uses ddr3l memory but lately I noticed during rendering and heavy tasks like multiple vms running that my cpu is struggling due to only 4c/4t. I am planning to upgrade but don’t know what I should do, should I get a new motherboard and ram and stuff or stay in the same platform? I looked into getting a Ryzen because it’s cheap and has 6 cores but I would need to get new ram and everything
Any suggestions?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. You could get an i7-7700 I suppose.

Sticking with DDR3 is going to get you sooner or later, might as well be now while prices are relatively low.

Hold out for the Ryzen 3000 launch and see what it does to pricing. Rumors are that Intel is going to drop their prices as well, so there might be some decent deals coming in a few weeks.

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I currently have a i5 6500 and asus b150m plus d3 mobo which uses ddr3l memory but lately I noticed during rendering and heavy tasks like multiple vms running that my cpu is struggling due to only 4c/4t. I am planning to upgrade but don’t know what I should do, should I get a new motherboard and ram and stuff or stay in the same platform? I looked into getting a Ryzen because it’s cheap and has 6 cores but I would need to get new ram and everything
Any suggestions?
Ryzen 2600 (150$)
Asus b450 (78$)
Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mhz ddr4 (75$)
total=303$
What about graphic card??? if you want
Msi gtx 1660 ti ventus (270$)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If rendering, might as well go for the 2700 and get the two extra cores. But given that the 3000 series Ryzen chips should have a few hundred Mhz over the current generation, might be worth it to just pick one of them up. Not to mention they'll be offering a 12-core at launch, and later this year a 16 core. Probably a bit pricey, but it should shake things up a bit.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX