[SOLVED] What should I upgrade to ?

Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone my current build is a i5 4690k, 16gb ram and a GTX 970 on a z97 motherboard

I've got a bit of a situation since I need to move to widows 10 soon I was thinking I should also upgrade my CPU at least, now here is when I'm unsure should I move to the current gen CPUs/motherboards or just upgrade my CPU to a i7 4790k since I won't have to buy another motherboard or is it not worth it ?

Solution
Hi everyone my current build is a i5 4690k, 16gb ram and a GTX 970 on a z97 motherboard

I've got a bit of a situation since I need to move to widows 10 soon I was thinking I should also upgrade my CPU at least, now here is when I'm unsure should I move to the current gen CPUs/motherboards or just upgrade my CPU to a i7 4790k since I won't have to buy another motherboard or is it not worth it ?
Get a new mobo/CPU/RAM - "upgrading" to the Haswell i7 compared with the i5 isn't much of an upgrade at all, especially now that hyperthreading is considered a security risk on these old things.
Best bang for buck today is a Ryzen 3600 (non-X) on a B450 mobo and a couple sticks of DDR4-3000/3200.

Get a new mobo/CPU/RAM - "upgrading" to the Haswell i7 compared with the i5 isn't much of an upgrade at all, especially now that hyperthreading is considered a security risk on these old things.
Best bang for buck today is a Ryzen 3600 (non-X) on a B450 mobo and a couple sticks of DDR4-3000/3200.

Solution