What should I upgrade?

Psydev

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
I'm looking to upgrade part of my system at a time, but I'm not entirely sure where to start, given that new tech comes out all the time. Here is my rig:

Processor: Intel i5-2550k @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8gb
GPU: GTX 680 (4gb edition)
Mobo: Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2739wm (native res - 1920x1080)

I'm a gamer...I don't really use my computer for much else, other than occasionally using word for work stuff, surfing the web, and checking email. I can play stubborn games like Dying Light at almost max settings with just the sporadic lag spike (although I don't really like the blurring in many games when I'm turning around). I'd like to upgrade with some sort of future-proofing and possibly even a higher resolution/better picture monitor, but I'm not sure where to start. I've heard a lot about 4k, and I've actually had the opportunity to use a 4k system with dual gtx 980's.....and I have to say...for the price of putting together an entirely new system to accommodate that setup, the difference in graphics quality was just not worth it. Plus 4k monitors (in this case the ASUS PB287q) only have 60hz displays. I've never gamed on anything higher than 60hz, though, so I'm not really sure how that would impact my games to begin with (or if my gpu could make use of it at something like 2560x1440). Of course, there is always the option of simply waiting for newer, better tech to release and other stuff to become cheaper/more reliable. Any suggestions of where to start, particular hardware to invest in, or just whether or not to wait a while before upgrading (and why) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

It is better to consider something measurable, like effective life, rather than something nebulous like 'future-proof'. You are reaching the end of the effective life of your system and most components are getting outdated. (DDR3-1600 RAM is still OK, as is your HDD, and maybe PSU and case)

At the moment there is no single GPU card that can handle AAA 4K Ultra and I don't generally recommend starting a new system with SLI.

New CPU/Motherboard/GPU will give incremental improvements, but won't total 100% (twice as fast) and a new motherboard will require an OS upgrade/re-install/replacement. If 4K gaming is your target, I think you need to wait a GPU generation, until it is more generally supported.

Psydev

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

Thank you for the response! What about moving to a really nice high hz 2560x1440 monitor? What might I need for that to be a solid/smooth experience. Or, is better 4k possibly on the horizon, and waiting a gpu generation might just make that the best option?

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Personally, I'd upgrade storage, backup everything to and external or USB, and buy a 128GB SSD for your OS (makes for quicker booting time, and performance) there fairly cheap now a days, 1TB HDD is fairly cheap, I've seen WD Blue for 39.99 on amazon :)

Maybeeeee overclock? it's a good option, since you're a gamer!