What should I upgrade?

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi, so I'm looking to buy some new parts for my system build. MY current choices are as follow;
1080ti
1080 + 144hz monitor
1440p 144hz g-sync monitor

Those are my three options that I want to go for. My current system is running off a 1060, so I'm somewhat iffy on the 1080/ti. My main goal is to hit 144hz or at least 100 on either the 1440p, or a normal 1080p monitor.

Would my current card be sufficient enough for the time being? Or would it be better to go for the 1080ti and then save for a gsync monitor?

your current GPU won't suffice for 100 fps at 1440p

but, it'll work fine for 1080p@60

u can go with option 1 / 2, or just buy the g-sync and then wait for volta (however i don't think u can utilize the monitor at its fullest with 1060)

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

My orignal plan, back before the gpu upgrade alternatives, was to downscale the 1440p to 1080. Because tbh, the only game I play that I'd mainly want the 144hz, is rainbow six siege, and that game doesn't really challenge a decent gpu.
Now I'm just questioning if that will be the most cost efficiant way, as my budget is barely scraping a 1080ti price.

My suggestion is to buy your monitor first.
Then, you can better assess just how strong your graphics card needs to be.

I assume you have a suitably strong cpu so that you will not be limited by processing capability.

getting the monitor is the better choice i think... see the performance and then u can decide whether u can wait for volta / need the 1080 upgrade :)

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

As I only play games, my cpu hasn't let me down so far. It's only a 8350 black edition, and can handle cpu heavy games like black desert, or ark at 50/60fps, while on high/max with Aa off, and a few other features.

atm, I handle rb6 siege at 60fps, with maybe a dip or two to 57. Other than that, it's a constant 60.

Some games are cpu limited, but fast action games tend to be graphics limited.

Your FX-8350 is a weak processor.

Before you commit to anything, I suggest you try a few tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

don't think that CPU is a limiting factor here, my friend paired his 1070 with a FX-8320, and he can still get decent performance out of it
a FX-8350 shouldn't bottleneck the 1060
but to be sure, try checking the performance, u can use MSI afterburner + Rivaturner for that and use the OSD feature
see your hardware performance during gaming, it should tell us which part is having a problem...

@OP
PUBG is still not optimized so i won't be surprised if dips like that happen
perhaps u should try capping the game's fps so that dips like that won't cause some sort of lag

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

at the moment I can usually process two games at the same time, which usually takes up 80% of of the cpu. With one game, it's usually around 40-60%, given the part in the game that requires a lot of processing power.

I lowered the resolution, and it was still at the same 60fps, this time it didn't drop as often as it did before. So I don't think it's my cpu. Usually, I have my cpu oc, which is in the bios. So I think it goes upto 4.2, so I'm not 100% sure on it.

I wanted to upgrade my cpu a while ago, but so far it hasn't given me any problems, or limitations, besides in large processing/rendering programs.

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Pubg doesn't usually drop to unplayable frames. It's usually pretty high, and decent. My only concern with pubg is the loading times for textures, but that's a hard drive issue/ram. My main thing is hitting the 80-144hz on rainbow six.

how much is your RAM?
on rainbow six, i think u could get that much fps if u tweak the settings a bit, i use 1050ti and i can get most of my settings to high and still achieve 60 fps, ur GPU should be able to surpass it easily :)

gacktrush

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Oh my RAM is horrendous xD I think I'm at 11gb (12 in total.) I get 60fps atm on it, but can't see higher, as it is capped at 60. If I went for the monitor, I was planning on getting more RAM, but only for a new system, which would have ddr4, instead of my current ddr3.

i played with that 60 fps with 4 GB DDR3, the fps overall it just fine but the loading times is considerably longer, also there more dips and the highest fps mark is lower than what it supposed to do, i just upgraded to 8 GB RAM and now the loading time is much more faster, also the fps is much more stable

i think u should just stick with the 12 GB till u get a new system just as u planned, for games nowdays, 12 GB is more than enough for that purpose :)