What should I upgrade?

lillozzer68

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
Looking into upgrading my system. I know its already decent. But I want to upgrade to get extra performance.

Mainly looking to upgrade my CPU or my GPU.

CPU -- Intel Core i5‑6500 3.2 GHz Quad‑Core Processor SkyLake

GPU -- MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card

RAM -- G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB

PSU -- SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Mother Board -- ASUS B150 GAMING/AURA

Solution
The only upgrade (apart from possibly an SSD) I would consider for a skylake i5, would be a kabylake i7. There's plenty of games out now that make good use of more than 4 threads and more than a few that get bottlenecked to some degree by only 4 threads.

Other than that, you could change your case, add RGB, new fans for quieter operation, different cpu cooler, plenty of aesthetics appeal that'll change the whole look and feel of the pc in general. Maybe a different or even add a second monitor, different keyboard/mouse etc.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
You're right, it's a pretty decent system. Frankly, if it's doing what you want right now, I'd just keep using it while saving my pennies for and i7-7xxx (or Ryzen7 if you're leaning that way...) CPU and motherboard. Or wait a little longer for the price of i7-8xxxx stuff to come down.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I agree with mazboy. no real need to upgrade the core system if its doing everything you need it to currently. now if you dont have an SSD, that would be the way to go with your current build if you must scratch the upgrade bug

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The only upgrade (apart from possibly an SSD) I would consider for a skylake i5, would be a kabylake i7. There's plenty of games out now that make good use of more than 4 threads and more than a few that get bottlenecked to some degree by only 4 threads.

Other than that, you could change your case, add RGB, new fans for quieter operation, different cpu cooler, plenty of aesthetics appeal that'll change the whole look and feel of the pc in general. Maybe a different or even add a second monitor, different keyboard/mouse etc.

Solution

lillozzer68

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015

What i7 processor you think I should get? Should I get a GTX 1070 instead of a processor?