Question What should I upgrade?

May 4, 2019
Hey everyone! I’m trying to find different ways to upgrade my pc without spending too much money. I am looking for improvement in gaming without spending more than a few hundred dollars. I don’t play anything too intense but always like to know how I can take my performance a step up. I currently have an AMD ryzen 5 1600 cpu, Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB, Kingston A400 240gb ssd, 1TB HDD, Samsung DDR4 8gb memory (2x4gb) and an Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming motherboard. Any recommendations? Thanks!

May 4, 2019
Can you wait until July 7 when AMD launches their Ryzen 3xxx CPUs and RX30xx GPUs?

Most likely you're looking at a GPU upgrade.

What monitor do you have?

USA?

I don’t mind waiting if the upgrade will be worth the price. Also I do live in the USA and recently upgraded to a 27” curved 144hz monitor.

First off, definitely upgrade to a 2x8GB kit of memory. That'll help in any modern titles. (at least 3000-3200mhz speed)

Then I'd say upgrade your GPU, something like a 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 would suit you wonderfully if your curved monitor is 1080P.

If 1440P then get at least a RTX 2060 (preferably a 2070) or a Vega56 if you can find a good deal on it.

Your CPU is still really good right now for gaming. If you find in the future you're bottleneck upgrade to a Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5 3000 series CPU which I've heard are going to be super cheap for the performance.

Quick warning though, your motherboard is NOT great at all when it comes to power delivery.

So you'll want to be VERY careful as to which 3000 series CPU you will want to put into that motherboard.
You might be limited to six core Ryzen 3 chips due to them only having six cores and not eight which take up a lot more power.

Unfortunately you're board is one of the worst boards when it comes to VRMs and power delivery. (for example, if you were to throw a Ryzen 7 2700X into that motherboard, you'd have either VRMs/power delivery overheating or serious clock throttling.)

A perennial question.
Here is my stock answer:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

My guess is that gaming would benefit more from a graphics card.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
new GPU or ram(2x8gb) maybe(at most), rest should last you good 3-4years.
1060 3gb should not exist :neutral::neutral::non:🇳🇴🇳🇴

but you dont really need an upgrade you can run 1080P high with 60+ Fps.

also upgrade over 10603gb worth getting is 2070 or 2080 or 1080ti where you getting 1440p 4k, ultra, 60+fps
getting 1440p high-ultra 60+fps is really not worth upgrading from 1080p high 60+ fps.
so RTX card are useless as of now TBH only handful of games actually use ray thing... maybe in 2-3years when we have enough games which can actually use RTX.

just order yourself a pizza everytime you think of upgrading, works like a charm