[SOLVED] What should I upgrade?

Aug 8, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I'm thinking in upgrading a single component on September/October but I'm with doubts about the component.

My current system is:

-Corsair Carbide 100R
-Intel Core i5-6500
-MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB GD5
-MSI 150M Bazooka
-2x Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400MHz HyperX Fury Black
-Crucial BX200 240GB
-WD Blue 1TB

The PC is mainly for UI/UX design (Adobe Software) and gaming (1440p).

I'm thinking on upgrading the motherboard because I can't even take full advantage of the RAM (b150m bazooka only supports 2133MHz) and I was also thinking in purchasing the SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2.

Even if I decide to upgrade the motherboard, I'm also with doubts about which one. I was thinking about the MSI Z390-A Pro but with the new Ryzen I'm also considering changing from Intel to AMD... However, if I'm going to change the processor too, it would be only next year summer.

So tell me, what should I upgrade? If it's the motherboard, should I stay with Intel, or should I save the money to buy a new AMD motherboard and processor?

Thank you!

EDIT: So... I just realized one thing... Even if I upgrade the motherboard I would have to upgrade the cpu because the new motherboards aren't compatible with older cpu. So, if the motherboard is what you think I should upgrade, should I change to AMD? Or stay with Intel?

Last edited:
Solution
I would concider upgrading the storage first as that seems to be whats causing yiu the most issue.

Then after that i would upgrade cpu to an i7 7700 or swap platforms for a newer cpu.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
What is your PSU make and model?

I was also thinking in purchasing the SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2.
Any particular reason why? M.2 doesn't offer many real time benefits outside of file transfer and no cabling.

I was thinking about the MSI Z390-A Pro but with the new Ryzen I'm also considering changing from Intel to AMD... However, if I'm going to change the processor too, it would be only next year summer.
If the premise is to use faster RAM, then Ryzen utilises faster RAM fantastically, and getting up to 3200 would yield some benefits.

What is your current rig offering you that you are not happy with per chance?

Aug 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!
What is your PSU make and model?

Any particular reason why? M.2 doesn't offer many real time benefits outside of file transfer and no cabling.

If the premise is to use faster RAM, then Ryzen utilises faster RAM fantastically, and getting up to 3200 would yield some benefits.

What is your current rig offering you that you are not happy with per chance?

Thank you!

About adding a new ssd, it's just because it doesn't cost that much (especially with promos) and my current SSD is almost full, despite that I still have plenty space on the WD.

About the RAM, I'm not focused on upgrading it (for now), but it's a shame that I'm not taking full advantage of it because of my current motherboard. Plus, even if I want to upgrade my CPU next year or even in 2 years, I couldn't because it's only compatible with 6gen.

Tbh, right now I'm not unhappy with nothing, but this entire system was bought in 2016 and some of the components are from previous years, and for me it's easier to upgrade 1 component at a time, than upgrade the entire system at once. And honestly, I don't think that the graphics card lasts another year or 2...

dementedchase

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
If it's not broke, don't fix it. Save the money towards your next build.

However! if you did decide to spend some money, buy something that would carry over to your next build. ie: NOT RAM.
My recommendation would be 1 TB SSD: they're nicely priced at the moment. I don't know if your motherboard handles m.2 nvme's (check!), but i saw an HP NVMe 1TB for $85at the start of the week. “Inconceivable!" .

About the RAM, I'm not focused on upgrading it (for now), but it's a shame that I'm not taking full advantage of it because of my current motherboard.
The performance difference between running RAM at 2133 or 2400 will be so miniscule that its not worth upgrading a motherboard for, especially since , as you noted, any current-generation motherboards and processors will be incompatible with what you have now.

Aug 8, 2019
If it's not broke, don't fix it. Save the money towards your next build.

However! if you did decide to spend some money, buy something that would carry over to your next build. ie: NOT RAM.
My recommendation would be 1 TB SSD: they're nicely priced at the moment. I don't know if your motherboard handles m.2 nvme's (check!), but i saw an HP NVMe 1TB for $85at the start of the week. “Inconceivable!" .

Unfortunately, my current motherboard doesn't supports m.2, but I really should get a better SSD

Aug 8, 2019
Intel processors do not depend on fast ram for performance.

Best to identify what is not so good with your current setup and address that.

Have you considered buying a second monitor?

For work purpose, my main tool is Adobe XD and my pc can handle it just fine.
Only when I open XD, Photoshop and After Effects, is when I see the pc struggling, but not that much

As for gaming, probably the one thing that I will need to upgrade is the GPU but they're so expensive...

I'm currently using Dell U2515H as monitor, and it's perfect for me, so there's no need for a second monitor

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
You have limited micro upgrade options. Next step is a platform upgrade.

The single component upgrades I would recommend would be [#1 and tied #2 depending on your real issues]:

1. CPU - Check if your board supports an i7-7700 and if you find one at a reasonable price take it. It will give you the most all round boost.
  2. SSD - If your current SSD is full [and it shoudl be]
  3. GPU - If your PSU supports then getting a more powerful GPU will boost games which are GPU bound.

I wouldn't worry about the ram speed, but if your ram usage is high then more ram would help.

dementedchase

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Unfortunately, my current motherboard doesn't supports m.2, but I really should get a better SSD

Getting a SATA SSD is still an option. ADATA SATA SSD 1TB was being advertised for $85 at rakhuten yesterday, or if you can dip into your trust fund, the Samsung 860 EVO for $140. Either way, the drive will be useful in your next build.