[SOLVED] What should I upgrade?

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
Hi guys! I'm looking to Work a bit on my build and i was wondering what to upgrade that would make the most difference? Thanks :)

Specs:
Cpu : Ryzen5 2600
Gpu: Gtx 1080ti 11gb
Motherboard: msi b450-a pro
Memory: ssd m.2 + ssd + hdd ( im fine here but just to give full spec )
memory speed: 32 gb ddr4 ram
Power supp: 650w

Solution
I'd say a bios update and a 3000 series cpu. The 7nm shrink did wonders for ipc. Get the highest boost clock you can afford. The XT's are the new pieces right now.
memory speed: 32 gb ddr4 ram
What is your ram speed + latency, ryzen likes fast ram, so 3600Mhz cl16 or better would be good.

What cpu cooler do you have? The cooler ryzen runs, the longer and higher it will boost to.
The new XT chips will net 1-3 fps more then a normal x chip, here's the review. You would be better served to simply get a 3600/3700x/3800x and enable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive)

Reactions: RodroX

jwcrellin

Reputable
Thanks, so you would recommand getting a ryzen5 3600xt or ryzen7 - ryzen 9 ? How big of an impact does it have on gaming ? Thanks !

The 3600XT only boosts to 4.5 Ghz. I think the 3800XT boosts to 4.7 thus appears to be the better buy to maximize gaming fps.

What is your ram speed + latency, ryzen likes fast ram, so 3600Mhz cl16 or better would be good.

What cpu cooler do you have? The cooler ryzen runs, the longer and higher it will boost to.
The new XT chips will net 1-3 fps more then a normal x chip, here's the review. You would be better served to simply get a 3600/3700x/3800x and enable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive)
They are the same price as the X series chips but have no included cooler. If you already have a decent cooler, it's free performance.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
Allright, so my ram is :
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 MHz DDR4 DRAM Kit 2 X 16gb
Cooler is :
Noctua NH-D15

And i've never used Precision Boost Overdrive? Is it in the bios? Thanks a lot guys, really appreciates your hints !

jwcrellin

Reputable
I think you can also enable PBO using RyzenMaster software while in Windows 10.
3000 Mhz ram is speedy enough that I wouldn't spend the money for a 1-2% performance increase.
Stepping up from a 6 core to an 8 core will aid in keeping your system relevant for a longer time in my opinion.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
As mentioned above, they are both supposed to have the same "msrp" but, in the market, the XT is demanding a premium due to it's very recent release. If you can wait a month before buying, i'm certain the prices will fall to a more reasonable level.
Thanks for the info, i've been reading a bit about 4000 series comming up too? Should imwait a bit for em ? Or wait.till they get out so the price for the xt will drop ? Thanks!