Question what should I upgrade?

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I have currently been on an i7 7700k paired with an RTX 3080 10gb. I am wanting to achive 4k gaming at 60fps or above. but its been giving me problems with newer titles. ie Cyberpunk/Resident evil 8.
I was originly thinking to upgarde the CPU to either a Zen 4 or raptor lake. regardless I will have to get a new board anyways its just am5 gives an upgrade path but raptor dosen't. but then Nvidia drops the 40 series and the performance looks to be very good. so i'm torn between what to do.
is it better to upgard my CPU or stick with my CPU and wait fora 4080.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You held on to 7700k this long, so if that trend continues then the meaning of upgrade path is on the way of the Dodo because by the time upgrading is considered you'll be in the used market and years behind what would be then currently available.

In terms of performance gains to be had now is significant, whichever platform you go. Yes upgrade cpu first, the extra cores/ threads is a must nowadays. At least 6c/12t, preferably 8/16 at this point heading into future. That will do you long time.

4k gaming is usually limited by the graphics card.
Yes, you now have a seriously good 3080.

Try a simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
I7-7700K is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Likely, you will want a stronger processor.
Particularly as regards to single thread capability.
Run the cpu-Z bench on your I7-7700K.
You should get a single thread score of about 543:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/k4gzh7

I think I would hang on a bit and see what intel 13th gen and amd am5 brings.
Both will have serious processing upgrades.
Expect about a 15% improvement in price/performance.
Intel launch is likely to have smoother sailing than am5.
Raptor lane and the associated Z690 chipsets are an evolution.
AM5 and DDR5 are going to have some new product glitches.
Serious or not, I would want to find out.

Do not worry about compatible future upgrades.
As a practical matter, and serious future upgrades a couple of years out will necessitate a motherboard change anyway.

Last edited:

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Also, like geofelt says, you can try to overclock your CPU and see what will happen. How much RAM you have?
yea i tried overclocking and never could get it stable. <Mod Edit> chip .. i have 16gb. i was waiting for the cheaper am5 boards.. and see what raptor lake is saying. the other thing is with the zen4. all the reviews have been with 6000mhz . but what about 4800? there is a big difference in price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
There are some reviews out about the 13 series by now. just look at them and make up your mind. The 13600K seems a good option for not the most money, even with DDR4 on an older chipset seems to do very good, as long as you choose one (motherboard/chipset) which bios can be updated, one with USB Bios Flashback would help. In time wil there also be this option,

TRENDING THREADS