Question What Should My Case Fans Monitor?

Dec 22, 2019
Hello, I've built one PC prior to my current but never really fine tuned it at all. How it was out of box was how I left it. This being my second more refined build I want to fine tune it as perfect as possible. The last piece to my puzzle however is CASE FANS :mad: ....................... I am running off of a Asus motherboard and I set a custom fan curve for my case fans that is relatively quiet but still keep the temperatures low. The one question I have is should my case fans monitor my CPU temp? I understand the CPU temp jumps sporadically which means my fans will also do the same. This is something I am not too happy with sooo the question is what is a good component for my fans to monitor? I forget the options off the top of my head but is setting the case fans to monitor the temps of a motherboard beneficial or any other component ?

OPTIONS -
CPU
MOTHERBOARD
PCH
T_SENSOR
MULTIPLE SOURCES

If posting my specs helps answer your question they are as follows -
Ryzen 2700x - set at 4ghz 1.24v
16GB Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
650w Corsair Modular PSU
Asus RTX 2060 Super
Asus X470 Prime
Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
3x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans - 1 exhaust 2 intake ---> should i add more i have room for two on top?
Fractal Design Meshify C

Last edited:
It wont exactly jump sporadically because usually fans are programmed to wait a couple seconds before taking the temperature measurement again and using it. They also dont use extremely granular rpms. Set it to multiple sources monitoring GPU and CPU, if possible. Also, if you havent already, position the exhaust fan in the back so it helps the cpu cooler.

Dec 22, 2019
It wont exactly jump sporadically because usually fans are programmed to wait a couple seconds before taking the temperature measurement again and using it. They also dont use extremely granular rpms. Set it to multiple sources monitoring GPU and CPU, if possible. Also, if you havent already, position the exhaust fan in the back so it helps the cpu cooler.

I don’t believe my fans are delayed because stock settings out of the box is 0 sec delay in the motherboard. However, I will try setting them to multiple sources.