Question What should riser cable solder joints look like ?

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
I have a riser cable that I need to cut to shorter length. I know there's a bunch of joints, but they don't look that complicated. The one that I have is hard for me to tell what should be soldered and what should not. It looks like manufacturer aimed to solder one row per side of board and solder ran through the board on some joints. I haven't found an image of what I'm looking for to see how it should be done correctly. There are 120 joints and I don't want to solder 240 if not needed and don't understand the way this one is soldered unless it is just bad workmanship. I've linked an image of what I'm working with if someone can take a look. riser cable solder joints

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing a link to the riser cable you're working with? Why are you trying to splice/shorten the cable? I'd suggest avoiding cutting a perfectly working PCIe riser cable in favor of sourcing a shorter length PCIe cable. Oddly enough the link you've parsed for the image, seems to time out on my end.

Last edited:

tek3195

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Mind sharing a link to the riser cable you're working with? Why are you trying to splice/shorten the cable? I'd suggest avoiding cutting a perfectly working PCIe riser cable in favor of sourcing a shorter length PCIe cable. Oddly enough the link you've parsed for the image, seems to time out on my end.
https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Gra...id=1622825164&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-40

I haven't found one the length I want or anywhere to order custom length cable. This cable works and has no where to go so thought it would be good candidate for cutting to length. Also it was about half the price they want now, so cheap enough that I could afford to lose it. Don't see anything bad coming from it, just not sure how it should be soldered. One side per pin or heavy so it flows through filling both sides for strength, I don't know.

riser cable solder try again, first time I've had problem sharing
@Lutfij I checked in 2 browsers(firefox & brave) and link worked for me.

Last edited: