what should you/a mechanic check in a used car?

InGearX

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
tomorrow I might do a purchase

will try to take it to a mechanic

I will go by your checklist here ... please share some things a mechanic should test for ...

or maybe a PDF checklist around? thank you ...

it's a Toyota Prius C 2013 Hybrid - which makes things more complex ...

Last edited:
If your mechanic needs to listen to a tech forum about what to check for on a used car you should find another mechanic.

You have to be absolutely sure that your mechanic is familiar with the Prius, though.

One of the best things you can do is find a shop willing to do a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) which is far more detailed than taking it to a random mechanic with a random list of things you've found on the internet.

Is this a private purchase or from a dealer?

Last edited:

InGearX

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
thank you
If your mechanic needs to listen to a tech forum about what to check for on a used car you should find another mechanic.

You have to be absolutely sure that your mechanic is familiar with the Prius, though.

One of the best things you can do is find a shop willing to do a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) which is far more detailed than taking it to a random mechanic with a random list of things you've found on the internet.

Is this a private purchase or from a dealer?
VERY good points

It would be 3 hours away from where I am from a private seller ...
so if need be would need to find someone there - PPI - didn't know about that

thank you !!!

but I decided to pass on it - as it's a 2013 Prius C 96k - and battery warranty is 8 years or 100k

if - no when the battery goes it will be $3000+