[SOLVED] What size air for 980 Ti and on.

David3290321

Commendable
BANNED
Nov 20, 2021
Hi, I want to get a new case (Corsair iCUE 465X) and new cooling (CPU-Artic Liquid Freezer 280 A-RGB). I also want to liquid cool my GPU which is a 980 Ti for now. I'm going to use a NZXT G12 to cool it. But My question is what size AIO should I use for it. Is 120mm enough or should I go for 240mm? Gpu is Windforce G1 gaming 3 Fan.

Solution
I'd imagine you can do just about any size you want. It's amazing how much more effective cooling is with 2 fewer layers between the die and cooler.
I recall a much older thread where another G12 user had a 120mm AIO on a 2080Ti. I thought there was no way that would work. They proved me wrong.
There's also my own experience, but I didn't go that small - I tried out both Celsius S36 and Celsius+ S28 on my 1080Ti.

If you want any chance of mounting the radiator to the rear or the top of the chassis, you'll need an Asetek-made AIO that uses angle barbs from the pump head. Mounting the Celsius S36 up top wasn't possible, but the Celsius+ S28 worked because of this.
The 360mm could be front mounted, but I noticed that it wasn't any...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd imagine you can do just about any size you want. It's amazing how much more effective cooling is with 2 fewer layers between the die and cooler.
I recall a much older thread where another G12 user had a 120mm AIO on a 2080Ti. I thought there was no way that would work. They proved me wrong.
There's also my own experience, but I didn't go that small - I tried out both Celsius S36 and Celsius+ S28 on my 1080Ti.

If you want any chance of mounting the radiator to the rear or the top of the chassis, you'll need an Asetek-made AIO that uses angle barbs from the pump head. Mounting the Celsius S36 up top wasn't possible, but the Celsius+ S28 worked because of this.
The 360mm could be front mounted, but I noticed that it wasn't any different from the more commonly seen setups with cpu AIO at the top and gpu below dumping heat in the PC.

Solution