[SOLVED] What size back up drive should I buy?

Shadow0201

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
I am going to build a PC and I want to have two HDD drives. One is going to be 4 TB for large file storage for music, content creation (Youtube/Twitch) and non demanding games possibly very few AAA games. The other drive is going to be a backup drive which will store the latest drive image as a compressed file in case it fails but I do not want to spend more than than necessary for its capacity. What size should I buy?

Solution
As a drive model, sure. But you don't want your backup images on a drive IN the same system. You want it physically isolated.

This is my current procedure (mostly. Has been tweaked over the last couple of years)
This is on my QNAP NAS, but could easily be done on a simple USB external drive.

USAFRet

Titan
What is the OS drive going to be?

For backup drive size, it depends a lot on how much is stored on the actual drive, and your backup scenario.

For instance, my system:
7 individual drives, approx 4.5TB total space. Approx 2TB actual consumed space.
My backup of a Full image and a series of Incrementals, 30 days worth...consumes about 2.4TB.

But, you need to plan for future growth.
An 8TB external is not a lot more than a 4TB.

Shadow0201

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
Its going to be my first build so I dont really plan to do anything big yet. The os drive will be a 2TB nvme m.2, ill store mostly games and videos for editing temporarily and then move to my hdd. The hdd will be an nas, idk if thats ok or if i should use a different type. Im limited to a budget but i may add/change things to the desktop in the future depending on my needs.

USAFRet

Titan
Its going to be my first build so I dont really plan to do anything big yet. The os drive will be a 2TB nvme m.2, ill store mostly games and videos for editing temporarily and then move to my hdd. The hdd will be an nas, idk if thats ok or if i should use a different type. Im limited to a budget but i may add/change things to the desktop in the future depending on my needs.
What are you referring to by "nas"?

USAFRet

Titan
As a drive model, sure. But you don't want your backup images on a drive IN the same system. You want it physically isolated.

This is my current procedure (mostly. Has been tweaked over the last couple of years)
This is on my QNAP NAS, but could easily be done on a simple USB external drive.

Solution

Shadow0201

Commendable
Apr 1, 2020
Ok, and can I configure the external drive so that it is only used when backing up data? And will having an external hdd affect the performance of my pc while it is physically on?

Last edited: