jar50972

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi, I'm planning on getting an SSD. I am going to dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Mac OS X Lion. I will not have games on it or the sort. I was wondering what size you think I need.

Well i'm gonna recommend you get atleast 250, maybe 180 is as low as i'd go unless you want just a OS to play around with because you wont be able to store anything.because the Windows 7 copy is suprisingly gonna take up at least 40 or 50 gigs, and Mac OS X Lion is gonna be about 20 GB atleast. IDk i probably got my facts wrong. I know i used up over 150 gigs just for Windows 7 (No other partitions) and havnt loaded anything yet and its always 698.99 gigs free soon as i get into windows. Again that is without any different programs installed. and i have a 750 Gig HDD. SSD's the smaller the capacity the cheaper the drive. And at some rate its like that with HDD's but they vary more in price

I'd probably go with a pair off SSDs. For the Win 7 I'd go with a =>80 gigs. My win 7 + programs takes just under 40 gigs. Recommended size is 120/128 gig. For Mac OS 10. I'm not sure probably the same recommendation on size (80-> 128 gig.

I would Have only the one SSD plugged in (no HDDs) and do the windows Installation. when complet, disconnect SSD. Plug in 2nd SSD and install your mac OS. when done plug both SSDs and HDDs in. Use the "Select Boot menu" to select which system to boot into (On my gigabyte MB it's F12 and on my Asrock MB it's F11). Note this does NOT change the boot priority set in bios.

My son runs both win 7 and Mac OS on several of his Work computers.

jar50972

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I was thinking about doing that, but with SSD and HDD. I may just install OSX or Windows on the HDD, and boot the other from SSD. I would probably use OSX (never used it before) more, but I use Windows alot for games, etc.

Which OS would gain more from being on an SSD? The other would be on an 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
IMO, you would see greater benefits from using the SSD with Windows. Mac's are fairly effcient when compared to Windows as it is already so use the SSD on the weaker setup.

I have a feeling that you'll eventually want another SSD when you boot up to the OS that runs off of one on any consistent basis.

Either that.. or you'll not spend much time running from the OS residing on the HDD after you get used to SSD's low latency and multitasking performance. lol

jar50972

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
haha, Yeah. I'm new to the ssd thing. What I think I'll do is:

1. get 128GB SSD
2. Make 2 Partitions
3. Install Windows 7 and Lion on the 2 partitions
4. Install 1TB HDD
5. Find a file system that both OS can use (probably NTFS with Paragon NTFS for Mac.)
6. Store all movies, music, games etc. on 1TB

Conclusion: Speedy experience on both OS's!

Any reason this wouldn't work?