What size PSU do I need

Ryarwood99

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I have a 550W and just used a couple calculators to see of that was enough and some said yes some said no.
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: R7 260x
Mobo: AsRock z97 anniversary
Memory: 2×4GB ddr3
120GB SSD
1TB 7200 HDD
Some LED 120mm fans

No overclocking... And please don't make fun of build, I know the GPU CPU matchup is poor but I got a really good deal on CPU and bought it after GPU.

Thanks!

Solution

You should be fine, then! XFX makes some of the best PSU's on the market.

jty0yt

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Make sure you get a high quality PSU! That is the most important! http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html
After that I would recommend grabbing a 500-750w PSU. Basically you dont want to go under 500w as in the future you won't be able to upgrade and you don't want to go over 750w as it would be overkill for most upgrades. To be honest you can't really have "too much" voltage so just go with whatever you can afford between 500 and 750 in tier 1 preferably.

Justkeeplookin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Yes quality matters a lot. Avoid any Corsair CS/CX series they have very poor capacitors. I recommend Seasonic, FC, Antec and others.

Bottlenecking is referring to the instance where a component of your machine is underperforming in comparison to the other parts, limiting the machine's power. I believe your graphics card will be the bottleneck, in other words the weakest component in your system :)

The two components will work together perfectly well, but any lack of performance from your machine will be due to the weaker video card. Meaning in a future upgrade, if you seek to improve overall gaming performance, your video card would be the target component to upgrade, rather than the CPU