[SOLVED] What size standoffs/screws do I need for an M.2 SSD ?

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Feeling a bit of a fool asking this, but I have been searching and come up with a few different answers.
I have a secondhand mobo with an M.2 slot but it doesn't have standoffs/screws for installing an M.2 SSD.

Are the standoffs a standard size or do they vary in height?
When searching I have discovered various answers saying:
  1. There are two main types.
  2. They vary and you need to contact manufacturer.
  3. They are a standard size.
Mobo is Asus PRIME A520M-K
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_A520M-K/E16800_PRIME_A520M-K_UM_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME A520M-K

Thank you

Solution
The threads on the standoffs may be standard.....but I don't think the screws that fit into the standoffs are.

You will find various suppliers on Amazon and Ebay offering the screws. And you will see a lot of conflicting info about what screws are compatible with what motherboard brand. Take a chance if you like. Maybe buy 2 or 3 packs of screws if cheap enough.

You probably won't have much luck at local hardware stores like Ace Hardware. I made 3 or 4 trips there and failed.

An alternative is to buy an adapter card that fits in a slot and attach the drive to the card. The cards should include the necessary screws. 15 or 20 bucks the last I checked.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not feel foolish., It is better to ask and to be sure versus just trying to jam in whatever screw/standoffs are available.

Or claim to "be compatible".

= = = =

Start here as a general reference:

https://www.onecomputerguy.com/m2-ssd-screw/

Then look for additional documentation that verifies the standoffs/screws to be used.

Motherboard, SSD, manufacturer forums and FAQs.

Then search online for a small kit that includes a variety of standoffs/screws, etc..

If you have any family, friends, or co-workers who build or upgrade computers then check with them. Good chance that someone could have some extra standoff and screws on hand. Maybe even your friendly work IT person. Do get approvals first - just in case....

Any computer stores in your area? Ask there. A smart business person may simply give you what you need or charge a nominal amount. No harm in asking.

If there are other problems then post accordingly. Remember that, if necessary, you can take photographs and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

The threads on the standoffs may be standard.....but I don't think the screws that fit into the standoffs are.

You will find various suppliers on Amazon and Ebay offering the screws. And you will see a lot of conflicting info about what screws are compatible with what motherboard brand. Take a chance if you like. Maybe buy 2 or 3 packs of screws if cheap enough.

You probably won't have much luck at local hardware stores like Ace Hardware. I made 3 or 4 trips there and failed.

An alternative is to buy an adapter card that fits in a slot and attach the drive to the card. The cards should include the necessary screws. 15 or 20 bucks the last I checked.

Solution

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Do not feel foolish., It is better to ask and to be sure versus just trying to jam in whatever screw/standoffs are available.

Or claim to "be compatible".

= = = =

Start here as a general reference:

https://www.onecomputerguy.com/m2-ssd-screw/

Then look for additional documentation that verifies the standoffs/screws to be used.

Motherboard, SSD, manufacturer forums and FAQs.

Then search online for a small kit that includes a variety of standoffs/screws, etc..

If you have any family, friends, or co-workers who build or upgrade computers then check with them. Good chance that someone could have some extra standoff and screws on hand. Maybe even your friendly work IT person. Do get approvals first - just in case....

Any computer stores in your area? Ask there. A smart business person may simply give you what you need or charge a nominal amount. No harm in asking.

If there are other problems then post accordingly. Remember that, if necessary, you can take photographs and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
Thanks.
OK, this starts to explain why I couldn't find the info. It is not a standard size then.
I have looked at the online docs for the mobo itself, but it doesn't tell you the dimensions of it.

Thanks for that link. It is a good one.
The screws all look to be M2.
The standoff needs to just keep the drive level then.
I am assuming the thread into the board of the standoffs are also M2.
It sort of sounds straight forward, but then says to contact mahufacturer, so it isn't a straight M2 thread it seems....

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

Thanks for this.

So maybe the thread pitch differs with the screw and standoff?
So, perhaps I am lucky and shall buy both together.
Hopefully the thread pitch is the standard into the mobo???
Although I am beginning to doubt it.
The other thing is finding the height of the standoff then.
I shall try asking Asus (chuckle)

This is way more complicated than I was expecting.

Contact Asus customer support and explain your problem.
If I were the rep, I would mail you a couple gratis.

Not all m.2 hold downs are a simple screw. some will have twist locking mechanism.

But, you are anxious to get on with your build.

Consider building using a standard sata ssd, at least for now.

You will not likely be able to detect any difference.
These guys could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Contact Asus customer support and explain your problem.
If I were the rep, I would mail you a couple gratis.

Not all m.2 hold downs are a simple screw. some will have twist locking mechanism.

But, you are anxious to get on with your build.

Consider building using a standard sata ssd, at least for now.

You will not likely be able to detect any difference.
These guys could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA
Thanks. Another scenario I hadn't come across.
It is running with an SSD fine, thanks.

I am trying to contact Asus.
Looks like that might be a dead end.
It asks for serial number and won't let you continue without it.
I have put it in a dozen times, checking it and changing 0 for O etc.
It says it is not a correct serial number and will not let me send my enquiry.

Thanks. Another scenario I hadn't come across.
It is running with an SSD fine, thanks.

I am trying to contact Asus.
Looks like that might be a dead end.
It asks for serial number and won't let you continue without it.
I have put it in a dozen times, checking it and changing 0 for O etc.
It says it is not a correct serial number and will not let me send my enquiry.

That is disappointing from ASUS.
Another idea would be to take the motherboard to a local pc repair shop and see if they have anything to fit.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Yes.
Good plan.
All a bit frustrating though eh?
Will have to dismantle my PC again to get it out and catch the bus into town.
(I shall call them first :) )

I have managed to message ASUS.
I registered. When I registrered, they accepted my serial number.
So then it didn't ask for it in the contact form and allowed me to send.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not dismantle the PC. Not worth the time, effort, and risks for the sake of obtaining screws and standoffs.

Indeed, call the shop first and plan a visit. Give them as much information as you can, take a couple of photographs to show them when you visit.

Just go to the shop. See what they have. Maybe purchase a small number of various standoffs and screws to take home. Carefully test fit to determine if they are correct.

They just might have an old Asus motherboard in the recycle pile.....

In the meantime, Asus may respond.

Either way (shop first, Asus first) you will have more information about what is needed and the installation options available.

Plus there may be other suggestions and ideas posted here.

Reactions: chuffedas

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I think I have found some on eBay.
The seller says that they fit all Prime mobos.
I checked the serial number and they are an ASUS product, although the ASUS site doesn't say many things that they fit.

ASUS responded to me:
The dimensions of the screws are universal and you can find such accessories with different retailers. We would advise in this situation to refer to an external seller to acquire the parts you require, as ASUS does not commercialize these kind of accessories/parts.

So, they seem unaware that a lot of people struggle to get the right bits.
Also, they say that they don't commercialize these things.
But they do:
https://www.asusparts.eu/en/asus-13020-01810000

This is the same part.
Ah well.

I think I have found some on eBay.
The seller says that they fit all Prime mobos.
I checked the serial number and they are an ASUS product, although the ASUS site doesn't say many things that they fit.

ASUS responded to me:
The dimensions of the screws are universal and you can find such accessories with different retailers. We would advise in this situation to refer to an external seller to acquire the parts you require, as ASUS does not commercialize these kind of accessories/parts.

So, they seem unaware that a lot of people struggle to get the right bits.
Also, they say that they don't commercialize these things.
But they do:
https://www.asusparts.eu/en/asus-13020-01810000

This is the same part.
Ah well.

Good job fighting your way through the always shaky customer "support", pardon the expression.

Got a link to your Ebay source? I may need a reliable source myself sooner or later.