Question What size wattage would anyone suggest for my system?

Dave1101

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
I would like to know thoughts on what psu i would need for my pc.

Specs:
asus m5a99fx pro 2.0
AMD FX-9590
Nividia GTX 960 4gb gaming edition
silverstone td03 all in one water cooler
Recent psu: ritmo force 1200w gaming (!DEAD!)

The recommended PSU is 400 Watts as minimum for the GTX 960. Though, you should go for a higher wattage PSU, 550-600 Watts, just for some extra headroom as well, if you plan to upgrade your GPU in near future. That FX-9590 CPU eats a lot of power though.

I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs, assuming you can get them near your location.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec
- High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

Reactions: AngelTech

Dave1101

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
found a couple but wanted opinons please as trying not to spend heaps of cash on psu but....
Thermaltake 650w litepower GEN2
Cooler master masterwatt lite 600w 80+

DSzymborski

Titan
found a couple but wanted opinons please as trying not to spend heaps of cash on psu but....
Thermaltake 650w litepower GEN2
Cooler master masterwatt lite 600w 80+

Absolutely not. You might be able to get away with a low-quality PSU on something that sips power, but a 9590 build pretty much demands a top tier PSU. You were already using a pretty dodgy PSU.

Nothing less than a 750W Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/G3, SeaSonic Focus/Prime is even slightly recommended with this CPU. Given the very entry-level cooling as well, I wouldn't be surprised if this motherboard, assuming this is a PC you've already been using, is on its last legs.

The other parts are in a pre-existing build, right? Because if you're acquiring a 9590, I wouldn't do that for free.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a FX 9590. That supercedes almost all gpu requirements. Mimimum of a quality 750w psu, I'd be happier seeing a quality 850w.

That said, with the price of those upper grade quality, high wattage units, it'd be far better to ditch the 9590 altogether, and invest in a decent 550w psu and replace the cpu with a FX 8320E / 8370E, which will be far less taxing on that old, worn-in motherboard.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Dave1101

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
but the cpu is perfect runs at really surprising low temps and i get no problem with games or anything. The motherboard its self is only like four five weeks old so i highly doubt that its on its last legs. I just dont have heaps of money to spend on a new cpu or psu because if i was going to go to a 8350 i would just go up to a ryzan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Architecturally, the 8320/8350/8370 and the 2x 9 series are all the same cpu. What got changed was the internal voltages. Not just vcore. The 9 series were just nothing more than super-binned 8 series cpus. So underclocking slightly, bringing it down to @ 4.6-4.7GHz won't be an issue.

It's only going to help that board. The asus m5a99fx is decent, but it's one of those boards that's barely into the 9's performance range. It's on the low end on the totem pole, so to speak. Because of the wattage those 2 cpus were capable of using, not just the voltages were an issue, but the amperage to get that wattage. You are looking at almost 250w stock boost, when most other fx were putzing around 150-170w with OC. That's brutal on the VRM's. So cutting back to @ 4.7GHz is only going to extend the life of everything.

You might have bought that board a few weeks ago, but it's still a 6yr old design, and there's no telling when the actual manufacturing date is. It could literally have been gathering dust on a shelf for the last 4-5 years until you bought it.

Dave1101

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Absolutely not. You might be able to get away with a low-quality PSU on something that sips power, but a 9590 build pretty much demands a top tier PSU. You were already using a pretty dodgy PSU.

Nothing less than a 750W Corsair RMx, EVGA G2/G3, SeaSonic Focus/Prime is even slightly recommended with this CPU. Given the very entry-level cooling as well, I wouldn't be surprised if this motherboard, assuming this is a PC you've already been using, is on its last legs.

The other parts are in a pre-existing build, right? Because if you're acquiring a 9590, I wouldn't do that for free.
just wanted to ask why you was wondering if the board its self might be on its last legs is this due to the cpu power consumption or temperature related or is it just a thought.