Question What software controls the dedicated Nvidia graphic card (optimus)?

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
ASUS K55VJ
Separate (MXM) graphic card GeForce GT 635M.

Major Win 10 update wiped graphic drivers. Messed up reinstalling. Graphic card wasn't even listed in Device manager. The option in File Explorer to right-click and chose "Run with graphics processor" was gone. Restored to a week old image.

Before restoring (and after) I've searched like crazy for the software to download/install that supplies this functionality. I don't want to depend on reinstalling old images.

I found this (description of Optimus)
but nowhere can find where to download it.

Fundamental questions:
The software is probably named Optimus. It interacts with "Nvidia Control Panel"

a) Is the separate graphic software part of Windows? Such that a Windows reinstall would recognize the separate graphic card?

b) I've found lots of references and descriptions of "Optimus" but I cannot find a place to download it. Is "Optimus" built into the Nvidia drivers?

c) Is the ability to "run with graphics processor" a part of, or separate from Optimus?

Last edited:

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
I installed the latest Nvidia driver first and then I installed the oldest (looking for better fps).
Then I reinstalled oldest again and also chose "Perform a clean installation". It didn't install and that's when I lost the graphic card in the Device Manager.

After that i just kept getting "Install fail" like this (borrowed pic) also "graphic card not found".
Fix-nvidia-installer-failed-2.jpg

Gave up on finding out how to get the graphic card back and reinstalled a week old Win 10 image.

This the option "clean installation" I selected when it went pear shaped.
"Restores default and removes profiles" sounded safe enough.
perform-clean-installation-2.png

Last edited:

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
No new info but I thought about it.
Obviously Windows by itself must recognize the graphic card. Windows must recognize everything connected via standard hardware interfaces.

A method I saw I didn't pursue thoroughly enough probably (lost link) :

If vidcard is gone from Device Manager -> Display adaptors but you've seen it and know it should be there.

-Show hidden devices in Device Manager
-Delete all hidden Display adapters
- Windows will rediscover the card
-Try installing drivers again

Last edited:
First, I don't see your laptop has a separate integrated video adapter; the link says "Some ASUS Notebooks have the option to switch between an integrated graphics card and a discrete card to save power by using the right card for the right application. This is possible through NVIDIA Optimus Technology and AMD Switchable Graphics Technology". I assume this requires an AMD CPU and there is nothing in the specifications of your notebook that indicates a separate integrated graphics card. nVidia Optimus is not a driver, it is a software utility, where if you have a separate integrated graphics card, Optimus will decide when it can switch to the integrated card to save energy. But since your notebook only has one graphics card, it does not apply to your notebook.

Now, back to the nVidia driver. First follow the directions in the following link to completely uninstall your nVidia graphics driver. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ Just to be sure, after you have uninstalled the nVidia drivers, check with the file explorer if c:\nvidia still exists. If it does, delete it.

Now try to install the driver you want to install and advise what happens.

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
I used a disk image to start over. I believe I understand Win 10's role, it simply must recognize attached devices whether 3rd party graphic card drivers are loaded or not.
Bookmarking your link for future reference.
The laptop definitely has a separate physically interchangeable graphics card GeForce GT 635M in addition to the CPU (Intel® Core™ i7 3630QM) built in "HD 4000" graphics.