TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collect information only about the files related to Windows 10, or about all files and applications that exist on the SSD or the HDD? I have privacy concerns. I have some sensitive information recorded in .txt files, and I'm afraid that Microsoft can steal the information, or that the telemetry can cause leaks if it collects the information, and sends it to Microsoft, but the traffic is not well encrypted or a hacker evades the encryption.

Should I be concerned? Should i disable the telemetry, or is the telemetry safe to run?

USAFRet

Titan
Does Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collect information only about the files related to Windows 10, or about all files and applications that exist on the SSD or the HDD? I have privacy concerns. I have some sensitive information recorded in .txt files, and I'm afraid that Microsoft can steal the information, or that the telemetry can cause leaks if it collects the information, and sends it to Microsft, but the traffic is not well encrypted or a hacker evades the encryption.

Should I be concerned? Should i disable the telemetry, or is the telemetry safe to run?
What research have YOU done as to what data is collected and sent?
So that we out here don't have to waste time doing the same thing..

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
The answers would be very similar to those you received after asking an almost equivalent question
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/security-with-absolute-certainty.3764011/#post-22701371
The questions i asked in the thread you posted the link to, are not similar to the question i asked in the thread you are currently looking at.

What research have YOU done as to what data is collected and sent?
So that we out here don't have to waste time doing the same thing..
I haven't done any research - i don't know what data is collected and sent. If i knew what data is collected and sent, i wouldn't have asked the question.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the answer is simple. encrypt ANYTHING you don't want others to see. that is the only way to make sure it stays private.

MS collects any and everything they feel like, whenever they feel like it. no one really knows what they do and don't collect, when or why. the best way to go about it is to encrypt anything you don't want anyone else to see.