What software should I get for a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan

What software depends on you.
I highly recommend ninite.com, to download and install a wide selection of free applications.

But from that PC World article, they recommend Secunia. No.
I used to use that, but it tried to do too much. I can't imagine its gotten any better over the years.

Dynomite54

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I do not recommend AVG and A password manager. AVG works well but has meany pop ups when you can use some other anti virus that works just as well even better don't have any or as much. I like Avast and Malware-bytes as a combo and it seems to work well.

The whole password manager thing is a bad idea because some malware that can make it onto your machine will look for password managers and steal all your passwords. But there are some that encrypt your passwords but they may cost money when you can just use a some of paper.

I hope this can help you best of luck with your new machine!

It really depends on what you are going to do on your PC. Here's a link with some good suggestions: http://lifehacker.com/lifehacker-pack-for-windows-our-list-of-the-essential-787533613.

BTW, I've been using Lastpass as a password manager for many years. I take the opposite approach. I'd rather use one long well encrypted passphrase for Lastpass and different passwords for every login I need. Versus, using a couple of passwords for everything. This limits exposure if one password gets leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.