What sort of guidelines are there to follow when adding onto prebuilts?

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
I have an Optiplex 3010 (Desktop, neither MiniTower or Small Form Factor) & I was wondering: with a case that small, I'd definitely assume some constraint would have to be made for size, right? What different sizes of PSUs & video cards fit into various heights? Would I need a low profile card? etc. Thanks.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

depends, some have space inside for standard atx psu's and gpu's - most dont -

you will need to open it up and look

The fat one right?

OriginalJPG

First off, go to their website and dload the user manual. Those usually list the limitations of each form factor. General guidelines are that the power supply is almost always low power, which means videocard choice is limited to cards that don't require a 6 pin pci-ex connector. Anything that is not a tower or mini tower usually only accepts a low profile card at most.

The wildcard is if the pre-built uses a proprietary design or standard design. If it's proprietary, then you won't be able to just buy any power supply. That computer seems to have a 250W power supply and the manual says the motherboard on the desktop is rated for 50W on the videocard slot. The standard is 75W, so that makes me think this computer has proprietary parts. Take a look at the design of the power supply and see if it matches standard ATX designs.

Your upgrade options may be very limited here.

huzaifa_ahmed

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013

The middle one. Apparently it needs a low profile. I've found a good rx 460, but the PSU may be an issue as it is proprietary. I'll have to buy a new case.

Now, i think the mobo isnt an issue, the RAM is okay & the CPU is an i5 3470 so total non-issue. I found a good 460 for $78 I'd say I have around $50-60 to spend on PSU & case.

I'd like a competent enough case & a reliable PSU of course.

TRENDING THREADS