What SP is my XP?

Is there any way to tell from looking at files, versions, etc what
Service Pack a Windows XP machine is running? I've got a backup of a
system, and I'd like to poke around in it's files and figure out what
version it was running at the time of the backup...

Thanks!

William, P.N., Smith wrote:

> Is there any way to tell from looking at files, versions, etc what
> Service Pack a Windows XP machine is running? I've got a backup of a
> system, and I'd like to poke around in it's files and figure out what
> version it was running at the time of the backup...

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties."

Notan

Find explorer.exe for the backup in question,
select properties. The version info will tell
you if it's sp2 or not.

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Find explorer.exe for the backup in question,
>select properties. The version info will tell
>you if it's sp2 or not.

Thanks that was it: c:\windows\explorer.exe
Looks like 6.00.2600.0000 is pre-SP2 and 6.00.2900.2180 is SP2.

William P.N. Smith writes:

>Is there any way to tell from looking at files, versions, etc what
>Service Pack a Windows XP machine is running? I've got a backup of a
>system, and I'd like to poke around in it's files and figure out what
>version it was running at the time of the backup...

START -> RUN, type WINVER, click OK.

Joe Morris