Question What speed would this SSD be with a ps4?

The PS4 also uses a SATA to USB converter. Though it's probably 3.0 which limits the SATA speed probably around 400MB/sec after overhead.

However don't expect massive improvements in loading time. The CPU is still a bottleneck.

Apr 26, 2021
The PS4 also uses a SATA to USB converter. Though it's probably 3.0 which limits the SATA speed probably around 400MB/sec after overhead.

However don't expect massive improvements in loading time. The CPU is still a bottleneck.
My biggest concern is how much the speed varies for different systems. I’ve seen people say it runs above the advertised speed of 520 MB/s an I’ve seen people say it runs at like 370 MB/s and some say it runs at like 274 MB/s. I’m afraid the ps4 might bottleneck it to sub 100 MB/s. Is that possible or no?

My biggest concern is how much the speed varies for different systems. I’ve seen people say it runs above the advertised speed of 520 MB/s an I’ve seen people say it runs at like 370 MB/s and some say it runs at like 274 MB/s. I’m afraid the ps4 might bottleneck it to sub 100 MB/s. Is that possible or no?
Not sure what you're so worried about. It'll be faster than a spinning HD no matter what.

From what I gather, loading times depends on the game. For large open world games like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, or GTA V, an SSD improves loading times above 15%-20%. For games with smaller areas like Gran Turismo 6, loading times barely improve.

But as said, either way you'll get an upgrade. Just don't expect a massive one across the board like you would on a PC.

Apr 26, 2021
From what I gather, loading times depends on the game. For large open world games like The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, or GTA V, an SSD improves loading times above 15%-20%. For games with smaller areas like Gran Turismo 6, loading times barely improve.

But as said, either way you'll get an upgrade. Just don't expect a massive one across the board like you would on a PC.
No matter how much this SSD varies across different systems it won’t fall below 100 MB/s?

No matter how much this SSD varies across different systems it won’t fall below 100 MB/s?
I don't know. Unless someone has a PS4 devkit that they can use to profile the storage speed, nobody can answer this question. Rather than be fixated on the bandwidth, find reviews and videos of people putting SSDs in their PS4s and see the comparisons for yourself.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS