[SOLVED] What speeds can I expect running a PCIe 4 SSD on a PCIe 4 Motherboard, using a processor that o my supports PCIe 3?

Apr 29, 2020
Build as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P
SSD: Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe4 1Tb

I am obviously not an expert, but would like a good degree of future proofing, so I have opted for PCIe 4, so when I decide to upgrade my CPU, the rest of the computer will work nicely.

Aperently 2nd gen Ryzen models only support PCIe 3, so how will the drive work with it? Am I likely to get the fastest speeds possible at PCIe 3, or is that not how it works?
Not a particularly crucial question, but it would be nice to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

PS: this is my first post here, so if I am doing anything wrong/leaving anything out, just give me a heads-up and I will amend it asap.

rgd1101

Don't
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
AMD X570 chipset :
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support

the chipset one might be running at 4.0

Apr 29, 2020
Ah ok, so there's a chance that it may be able to squeeze out 5000MB/s despite using a 2nd gen Ryzen. If I have understood correctly...
Thanks for the impressively fast response!

"future proofing" is a fruitless endeavor, at least for anything more than 6 months or a year out.
Buy what you need, when you need it.

As a practical matter, the value of any ssd is the minuscule latency you see on random reads and writes at Q depth of 1.
That is what windows does some 90% of the time.
Sequential performance will be rarely noticed.

Few people will upgrade a processor without also upgrading the motherboard. At least unless that has been preplanned.

I would not worry about it.

Apr 29, 2020
Thanks Geofelt.
By "future proofing" I subconsciously mean a lack of impulse control and a thrill of having to mess around with my computer for effectively no reason... It's great fun until reviewing how much money you have left at the end of the month...
I have had the processor a few months, and am waiting on the mobo and SSD to arrive at the moment.

I was mainly just wondering if spending that extra £20 was a good idea, and as you may be able to tell, 'good ideas' are not exactly my specialty. As long as I can use the SSD, I won't notice any difference, as you say.