philharmonik

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
This is my setup right now. Win7Ult64bit,AMD Phenomx4 945 3.0ghz,evga8800gtx,8gbDDR31066Ram,2x1TB HDD.Motherboard is MSI 770-G45.

I just won a gift card for newegg for $250. I am looking at the SSD's. I am thinking of either the Intel X25-M 80GB or 2 of the X25-V 40gbs in RAID 0. I will be using my 2x1TB drives as mass media storage and games. Which route should I go?? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Not really, as SSDs do RAID0 internally already. One X25-M has 10 flash channels, while the X25-V has only half that. So you don't really win anything by opting for two V's in a RAID0 in this case.

It also makes your storage setup more resilient, as you don't have to use RAID drivers. Also, RAID arrays do not support TRIM yet, so using two X25-V's in RAID0 would also mean you lose TRIM support.

All in all, one X25-M 80GB is your best bet.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Not really, as SSDs do RAID0 internally already. One X25-M has 10 flash channels, while the X25-V has only half that. So you don't really win anything by opting for two V's in a RAID0 in this case.

It also makes your storage setup more resilient, as you don't have to use RAID drivers. Also, RAID arrays do not support TRIM yet, so using two X25-V's in RAID0 would also mean you lose TRIM support.

All in all, one X25-M 80GB is your best bet.

Solution

philharmonik

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Gotcha! That makes sense. Plus when these drop in price, maybe there will be new drivers to support TRIM and I can get another 80gb and have 160gb. Thanks again! You made this decision alot easier for me. Im sure I'll be back on here once I actually get the drive and go to set it up. Im pretty good at troubleshooting stuff myself by googling, but its nice to know I can come to these forums for solid advice!

TRENDING THREADS