[SOLVED] What SSD should I buy?

Johnicc

Reputable
Jul 17, 2020
Hi there,
I'm looking for a SSD for my pc. It has to be a SATA drive, because the M.2 slot is already occupied with my 500 GB drive. Should I go for the classic, 870 EVO, or are there better options?

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 Ghz
GTX 1660 Super @ base clock
Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
2x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
500 GB M.2, 2 TB HDD

Solution
Hi there,
I'm looking for a SSD for my pc. It has to be a SATA drive, because the M.2 slot is already occupied with my 500 GB drive. Should I go for the classic, 870 EVO, or are there better options?

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
2x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
500 GB M.2, 2 TB HDD
As yo already have OS on M.2, choosing another SSD is not very important. There's very small discrepancy in speeds for all SATA SSDs as they max out SATA ports anyway. In real life use, SSDs with RAM cache built in have slight advantage but others use system RAM for it, You have 16GB so impact would be minimal anyway. At this time, it's difficult to advise any particular SSD because manufacturers keep...

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Any SSD will usually do, but don't cheap out on them. I use two Crucial MX500's myself which are both 500GB (not in RAID-0).

SSD's are usually quite pricey though, have you considered buying something like a 1tb barracuda HDD? Not as fast, but gives more storage for less money.

Hi there,

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
2x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
500 GB M.2, 2 TB HDD
As yo already have OS on M.2, choosing another SSD is not very important. There's very small discrepancy in speeds for all SATA SSDs as they max out SATA ports anyway. In real life use, SSDs with RAM cache built in have slight advantage but others use system RAM for it, You have 16GB so impact would be minimal anyway. At this time, it's difficult to advise any particular SSD because manufacturers keep on changing controllers and/or RAM cache without telling anyone. So, I'd rather choose capacity over some higher priced brand name.

Solution

Johnicc

Reputable
Jul 17, 2020
Any SSD will usually do, but don't cheap out on them. I use two Crucial MX500's myself which are both 500GB (not in RAID-0).

SSD's are usually quite pricey though, have you considered buying something like a 1tb barracuda HDD? Not as fast, but gives more storage for less money.
I already have one HDD, the main reason why I want a SSD, is that my M.2 drive is already full and if i want to download more games, I have to download them on the HDD. That doesn't sound like much, but I found out that the games, that are on the HDD suffer from micro lags, because the HDD can't keep up.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I already have one HDD, the main reason why I want a SSD, is that my M.2 drive is already full and if i want to download more games, I have to download them on the HDD. That doesn't sound like much, but I found out that the games, that are on the HDD suffer from micro lags, because the HDD can't keep up.

Then get an SSD. As I said, I recommend MX500's. It's also a good idea to move your steam games lib to that SSD from your HDD (if the SSD is large enough). You can find plenty of youtube tutorials on how to do that.

Hi there,

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte B450 Gaming X
2x8GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
500 GB M.2, 2 TB HDD
It's up to you to figure out how much disk space you will need for the games.

Consider using the m.2 for the OS and apps.
Then add a 2.5 2TB ssd.
Migrate off the hdd to the ssd and remove the hdd.
If your running out of space add another 2TB ssd....etc/etc.
Creating a sata storage pool for all your games.

The ssd you picked is fine and as mentioned the mx500 is also fine.

Actual performance among all ssd devices is remarkably similar.
Benchmarks do not tell the story.
To my mind, I would pay a bit more for the samsung ssd.
Puget systems thinks highly of them.