[SOLVED] What SSD should I get for my PC?

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I currently have HDD and I have read SSD is much better to have. I dont know much about either, but I want to purchase SSD. What is compatible with my pc? And how to go about transferring the HDD to the SSD?

PSU: evga 600w (its about a month old is all)
Ram:16gb aegis gskill ddr4
cpu: ryzen 5 2600
gpu: rx580 8gb red devil
motherboard: as320m-s2h
Memory is HDD 1tb

Solution
I currently have HDD and I have read SSD is much better to have. I dont know much about either, but I want to purchase SSD. What is compatible with my pc? And how to go about transferring the HDD to the SSD?

Memory is HDD 1tb

Your motherboard supports M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs, which are very fast!

The best SSD that you can buy for your build would be the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, which has 2-bit MLC NAND, which is extremely fast and durable.

PS:
The price won’t kill you, but it’s...

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
If you don't know about either, you've got money in your pocket looking for something to do--save that money instead. If you don't know what you're missing, you won't be getting value from the upgrade.
I know that the SSD is much faster. Especially on start up and loading things. It’s very annoying having to wait when my pc boots up and takes times to load apps. And also switching games takes awhile. From my understanding wouldn’t the SSD help with those things?

Endre

Reputable

Memory is HDD 1tb

The best SSD that you can buy for your build would be the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, which has 2-bit MLC NAND, which is extremely fast and durable.

PS:
The price won’t kill you, but it’s not cheap either.

Reactions: maag2
Solution

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020

PS:
The price won’t kill you, but it’s not cheap either.
Thank you! I definitely need the upgrade

Reactions: Endre
D

Deleted member 2838871

Thank you! I definitely need the upgrade
970 Pro absolutely not needed.
970 EVO will do just fine, and be indistinguishable from the Pro.

Agreed.

970 Evo Plus in my build... didn't waste money on Pro for performance I'd never notice. Didn't go with a 980 series Gen 4 build for the same reasons. At time of build the 2TB 970 Evo Plus was roughly the same price as the 1TB 980 Pro. Double the storage wins... hands down.

maag2

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
970 Pro absolutely not needed.
970 EVO will do just fine, and be indistinguishable from the Pro.
Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I currently have an HDD is the process from switching from that to the new SSD very hard? I’ve looked at some videos but don’t seem to see the best tutorial. And I want to make sure my windows 10 comes with it

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I currently have an HDD is the process from switching from that to the new SSD very hard? I’ve looked at some videos but don’t seem to see the best tutorial. And I want to make sure my windows 10 comes with it
Depending on what drive you get, and the actual consumed space for your data, we can almost certainly walk you through the cloning process. Windows included.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I can vouch for Samsung NVME storage. I don't have the Evo series but just to give you an idea how fast NVME storage is. My Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny boots Windows 10 in 55 secs with a standard HDD. The NVME SSD boots Windows 10 in under 7 secs. And that's to the desktop from the moment I press the power button.

The read speeds on the Samsung, actually it's pretty much the same for most NVME SSD storage which is around 3500 mb/s. An internal SSD which is about the same size as a laptop drive is around 500 mb/s. Definitely Nvme is the way to go.

If you decide to go with the Samsung Evo series, check out "Samsung Magician. It has performance enhancers for their drives and it typically covers their Evo series.

I know that the SSD is much faster. Especially on start up and loading things. It’s very annoying having to wait when my pc boots up and takes times to load apps. And also switching games takes awhile. From my understanding wouldn’t the SSD help with those things?
It will but honestly once whatever you're loading is cached by system memory (you have enough memory?), then it goes straight to the cache and you don't gain the advantage of an ssd anymore. I've always opted for more memory versus an ssd and it's worked out well. My hard drive systems fly with enough memory, even on disk transfers (until the cache is full).

I can vouch for Samsung NVME storage. I don't have the Evo series but just to give you an idea how fast NVME storage is. My Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny boots Windows 10 in 55 secs with a standard HDD. The NVME SSD boots Windows 10 in under 7 secs. And that's to the desktop from the moment I press the power button.
I really never understood why the big push behind to get an ssd is the boot time. I never stand and wait for a system to boot as I've other things to do and simply come back to it. I guess most people just stand there and look at their computer. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 2838871

I really never understood why the big push behind to get an ssd is the boot time. I never stand and wait for a system to boot as I've other things to do and simply come back to it. I guess most people just stand there and look at their computer. :unsure:

Heh.. .yeah. I had a SSD discussion with a guy last week wanting to put 980 Pro drives in his build "for the boot time" even though they are a horrible value and I got 970 Evo Plus drives that are twice the size of the 980 Pro for the same money.

Is saving 1 second off your boot time worth going with a 1TB drive instead of a 2TB drive? I think not. But the 980 Pro is the "better" drive they say... It must be! After all it moves data at 5GB/sec instead of 3.5GB/sec. That's totally worth sacrificing 1TB of extra storage for. :LOL:

Heh.. .yeah. I had a SSD discussion with a guy last week wanting to put 980 Pro drives in his build "for the boot time" even though they are a horrible value and I got 970 Evo Plus drives that are twice the size of the 980 Pro for the same money.

Is saving 1 second off your boot time worth going with a 1TB drive instead of a 2TB drive? I think not. But the 980 Pro is the "better" drive they say... It must be! After all it moves data at 5GB/sec instead of 3.5GB/sec. That's totally worth sacrificing 1TB of extra storage for. :LOL:
I just had to reboot about 10 of my systems and by the time I got to the point of RDPing into them, they all had booted...off hard drives, lol.

All I can say is that people are really dumb with their time and money, and there are other people that are willing to take these people's money, so I guess we all have choices. :ROFLMAO:

The only place that I think SSDs have a real value is in moving bulk data quickly. If 100MB/sec across a network is too slow and you've got 10Gbit installed and want to make the most of it, SSDs are nice. But that's the only scenario where I see them being a real value for me. ;)

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Ha, and I never understood those who use their rigs to run and chase benchmarks. However, if i'm not using my PC for long periods of time I shut it off.

Memory is HDD 1tb
Keep it simple.
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250088?&quicklink=true

https://www.newegg.com/p/181-00D8-0...roductAlsoView-_-4-_-9SIAME8AJ15681-_--_--_-1

Plug the cable into the ssd and an usb3 port.
Clone hdd to ssd.
Remove hdd and install ssd.
Boot the machine.

Why would you want to even use usb? Native sata is much faster, not to mention simpler.

Insert ssd into system, clone hdd to ssd, remove hdd--done!
Yes that will work.
Faster......I suspect the limiter will be the speed of the read data from the hdd.
Folks get it twisted up by not removing the hdd and then there are two copies of the OS on the sata bus.
I have not seen a problem when one copy is on the sata bus and the other copy on the usb bus.
The usb to sata cable comes in handy for future use.

Yes that will work.
Faster......I suspect the limiter will be the speed of the read data from the hdd.
Folks get it twisted up by not removing the hdd and then there are two copies of the OS on the sata bus.
I have not seen a problem when one copy is on the sata bus and the other copy on the usb bus.
The usb to sata cable comes in handy for future use.
It always shocks me how much slower usb3.0 is versus esata (which is just basically sata), so I usually try to opt for sata, especially when there's usually lots of ports free on most motherboards. I'll usually create an image using clonezilla to a backup medium and then write that backup to the new drive after disconnecting the original. Then I'll boot on the new drive and let it run for a few weeks before considering the job 'done'.

The reason why there's not a problem is that the usb isn't being attempted to boot. But generally a newly installed won't be the first in the sata boot order either. I try to never even keep the drives in the same system at the same time to avoid an accident.

Gorila

Reputable
Sep 21, 2016
  • Intel Optane 905P – best U.2 SSD.
  • Samsung 970 Pro – best NVMe SSD.
  • Toshiba OCZ RD400 – best PCIe SSD.
  • Adata XPG SX8200 SSDbest M.2 SSD.
  • Samsung 860 Pro – best SATA 3 SSD.
  • Intel 750 Series – best U.2 SSD.
  • Samsung 860 Evo – best budget SSD.
  • HP S700 Pro – best endurance SSD.
best SSD in 2021 ,choose and use )