Question What SSD Should I Get?

Osiris4.0

Commendable
Dec 6, 2019
I'm planning on getting a new PC soon, but i'm not a super tech savvy DIYer, so I am getting it from a custom PC builder. I've already been told this by companies like Cyberpower, Origin, Xotic PC, and iBuypower becaue they don't offer this option on their customization page, but just to get a definitive answer, can NVMe drives be raided?After my computer's hard drive just suddenly died on me a few years ago and spending $300+ on data recovery I said when I got me next system it was definitely going to have RAID 1/data mirroring on it.If it can't be done, or is some kind of unstable setup then i'll just have to get a SATA SSD.In which case my next question would be which one?I want atleast 1TB, but cyberpower only offers a 1TB WD Blue , 2TB Crucial MX500, or a 4TB Samsung 860 EVO.

I've gotten the impression that the Samsung PRO line have better performance and endurance, but they don't offer that.The 4TB is too expensive especially since I would need 2 of them, but if I went with 1 of the other 2, would I be missing out on something?

Lutfij

Titan
There can be a number of reasons why a hard drive might die. Power, too many partitions, too many taxation going on, wear and tear, old age are but a number of them. I've had all of them happen on one drive before it croaked(not for me personally, for a client's machine).

If you have the OS on an SSD, the only other thing you will need to worry about is the storage drive, being either an HDD or an SSD. On both cases, I'd leave them to one partition alone.

I wouldn't ask you to have 2 NVMe SSD's in RAID 1 since the likelihood of an SSD failing is far to none or well outside your warranty period.

You sure you don't want to build your own machine? You get a larger parts selection and you know what's going into the system as opposed to choosing something off a window to have someone else assemble it.

Osiris4.0

Commendable
Dec 6, 2019
Maybe the likelihood is less, but it can happen and I would feel better knowing my data is backed up unless that warrenty covers data recovery.I won't be using an interrnal drive for storage.The files I keep in storage I just put on external hard drives.The internal drive is for the OS, installed apps, and games...stuff like that.I'm thinking 2TB, but I would have to see how much that costs.I want SSDs that are going to last a good long while.That and making sure my data is secure in the unlikely event of a failure is the first priority, which is why if NVMe drives can't be raided, then i'll just have to take the hit in performance and settle for the best SATA SSD I can get.

As for building it myself, I have no experience building a PC, and wouldn't know what i'm doing.Also, I can't help but imagine me, being the clutz that I am, doing something like accidentally damaging 1 of the pins on a $2,000 CPU, which is why I want a pro to do it.So...can they be raided?If not, how does that WD Blue SSD stack up against the Samsung PRO?

Last edited: