What SSD should i get?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys

I was just wondering what ssd i should invest in, im leaning towards either a patriot wildfire 120gb or a Intel 520 series, according to passmark benchmarks the 520 series is currently the fastest ssd on the market. The wildfire is 3rd fastest. I know intel is also renouwned for their reliability and they also offer a 5 year warranty. The price of the ssd at my local computer store is 150 dollars for 120gb. But i also saw a few reviews that suggested patriot wildfire is a well performing ssd, and is on par with intel in terms of performance with a slightly faster read/write rate. So i dont really know what to go for.

Additional info: Im gonna be using the ssd for a boot drive and applications.

Cheers!

Solution
I have used a number of different drives and manufacturers and the Intel 520 is the current champ. Fastest and most reliable I have touched - if you have SATAIII ports, it's the way to go. I also have had a really good experience with the Samsung 830s - I use them in laptop builds and they have the same good qualities - the Intel 520 is just leading in speed, specifically write speed.

game junky

Distinguished
I have used a number of different drives and manufacturers and the Intel 520 is the current champ. Fastest and most reliable I have touched - if you have SATAIII ports, it's the way to go. I also have had a really good experience with the Samsung 830s - I use them in laptop builds and they have the same good qualities - the Intel 520 is just leading in speed, specifically write speed.

Solution

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Ohh sorry forgot to add what it was for. Its for a desktop, x58 platform. I play games occasionally, here and there, max im willing to spend is 200. I thought about the 240gb but my 500gb struggles to hold all my games so i thought maybe just to run games off the hdd and the rest on the 120. Which 240 ssds did you have in mind?

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012

Ohh really?? Thats what i was leaning towards, you pretty much helped me make my decision, cheers! Now its just a matter of getting a 120gb or a 240gb since dingo07 brought it to my attention.

Passmark is a single test ......

Here the 520 comes in 4th .... so you look for performance over a range of testing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendation,3255-6.html

But on the same page further down, you see them divided into tiers....

Tier 1 contains Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Kingston HyperX 3K, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, Corsair Force GS, Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB and Plextor M3 Pro 128 GB/256 GB .... Only one of those is under $200 making it the easy choice in my builds, especially when it contains the extended life premium toshiba toggle mode flash. Last week it was $179

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012

You are right Bruce, i own a msi X58 Pro e motherboard, doesnt have support for sata 3, however i did decide to buy a PCI-E express to sata 3 converter, supports and transfers up to 750mb/s. Should be adequate for the time being.