nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm looking at an 80gb $200 intel X18, a 64 gb kingston ssdnow @ $140 or if anyone else has any suggestions. I thought of getting something approximately 60gb, but i'd consider more or less too. Price is really the biggest concern and I want to get the best combo of read speed and space for under $200.

sub mesa

Distinguished
MB/s is not imporant; IOps is.

Cheap SSDs can have 200MB/s+ too, but still have stuttering problems and generally are quite slow compared to the Intel SSDs.

Haven't seen any benchmarks of the X18 though, it may use a different controller or it may be the same. Fact that it hasn't got TRIM might indicate a different controller.

The x18 is definitely not $80 less - more like $30-$40 less if your $200 price is accurate (where would you get an x18 for $200 anyways?). Here's a G2 M for $237 for example (yeah, it's out of stock, but it should be back soon): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651826-REG/Intel_SSDSA2MH080G2R5_80GB_X25_M_Mainstream_SATA.html

Sub mesa - it doesn't have trim because the x18 is identical to the x25-m G1 - they haven't updated it with the G2 controller and 34nm flash yet. It's still excellent - it may not keep up with the G2, but it's definitely faster than most SSDs on the market.

sub mesa

Distinguished
If it has the same controller as the G1 its a very good drive still yes. But i would still prefer G2. :)

X18 seems to be nice for blade servers or other very small form factor PCs. X25 should fix in everything else though. I can see the X18 has a usage for mobile devices though.

For an OS SSD, the intel used to be the only drive to consider. That may be changing. Do not focus on the read transfer rates, that is relatively unimportant for an OS drive. The OS does lots of small reads and writes. For reads, you will do well with almost any drive, primarily because of the minimal access time. Look an the write capability. If the drive does not have a good controller, you may encounter write delays in the tens of seconds when the drive is hit with lots of writes; that is most disturbing. If you have windows-7 you get trim support, so any drive with trim such as the X25-m G2 will be very good(intel currently is redoing the trim microcode on this). Otherwise, the X25-M G1 works well.

This arena is changing very fast, so a wait of a few months might get you a much better and cheaper drive.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

A micro centerby my house has it for $200 and their legit, so i think i might go with that.