[SOLVED] What SSD should i upgrade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
any cl16/cl15 3000/3200/3600 is the best bang for the buck for ram

as for ssds, sorry, but samsung only*.
the reliability numbers dont lie.
the 970evo plus is a top performer, and middle of the road in terms of price.

*** for important data
otherwise, for regular office, and everyday use, any manufacturer, sata or nvme would be good enough, as long as it has a dram cache.
mx500, or mx300 from crucial
or the mp510 from corsair, and similar ones from adata, kingstone or any other should be good.

edit:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-SATA-SSD-s-Amazing-Reliability-772/
an article from 2016, that has puget (one of the biggest system integrators) claiming how good these are, and they've talked about this in more places in the past.

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
It has meddling performance for a pcie card, but honestly the difference is not that noticeable.
I've the A2000 as my main and my old Samsung 840 for storage(which used to be my main).
Obviously the difference is huge (nvme vs sata ssd).
Look, in my 15years of working/dealing with computers, I can honestly say, most expensive isn't always the best. I mean, I could buy the most expensive gpu on the market but run it on a regular 1080p 60hz monitor.
I could have the fastest RAM on the market but pair it with an average cpu.
I try avoiding expensive parts as one will drag another and I'll never be happy with my config.
Also, difference isn't that great between an A2000 and the better Samsung competitor to justify the price difference. Dunno, call me old

I've the A2000 as my main and my old Samsung 840 for storage(which used to be my main).
Obviously the difference is huge (nvme vs sata ssd).
Look, in my 15years of working/dealing with computers, I can honestly say, most expensive isn't always the best. I mean, I could buy the most expensive gpu on the market but run it on a regular 1080p 60hz monitor.
I could have the fastest RAM on the market but pair it with an average cpu.
I try avoiding expensive parts as one will drag another and I'll never be happy with my config.
Also, difference isn't that great between an A2000 and the better Samsung competitor to justify the price difference. Dunno, call me old
I said that the performance is not the issue, its reliability.
ive been in the computer space for a few years, not as long as you, but ive talked with and heard from system integrators, and local pc part stores, and the one ssd manufacturer they always say never has problems, is samsung.
and while yes, they are also the best performers, they arent always the best bang for the buck for an average joe.
for people like me and you, any midgrade ssd with a dram cache is good enough.
and you wont notice any difference, nvme or sata in day to day use.
Thats why i said for important storage you want samsung and no one else, but for office and regular use, any respectable manufacturer is probably fine.

EthanThePCNerd2005

Prominent
Jul 18, 2020
From my personal experience, working on computers for the last 5-1/2 years, I would highly suggest the 1TB or 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. It is fast, reliable, affordable, and even is supported with Samsung Magician Rapid Mode. It makes a heck of a difference when in a game, especially in Minecraft, FortNite, Roblox, COD and Need For Speed.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-...rds=samsung+860+evo+ssd&qid=1595203857&sr=8-2
Best of luck to you, mate!

Reactions: Jett_______2131223
From my personal experience, working on computers for the last 5-1/2 years, I would highly suggest the 1TB or 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. It is fast, reliable, affordable, and even is supported with Samsung Magician Rapid Mode. It makes a heck of a difference when in a game, especially in Minecraft, FortNite, Roblox, COD and Need For Speed.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-...rds=samsung+860+evo+ssd&qid=1595203857&sr=8-2
Best of luck to you, mate!
it doesnt make a difference beside load times.

Status
Not open for further replies.