[SOLVED] What standoff should I use? (M.2 drive)

grant2698

Reputable
May 16, 2018
I have an Asrock B250 Pro4 and the manual is very unclear about something in terms of M.2 drive installation. I need to install my drive in the top most slot, but it seems to already have a built-in standoff right where I need it. The actual standoff provided in the lower slot would make the drive too angled if I moved it up to the top slot, so should I just use the one built-in?

Solution
Does the black screw thread easily into the leftmost/existing stand-off.

If so, then use that stand-off.

But do not force it at all.

Find a screw that does easily screw in.

Sometimes all sorts of odd screws get packaged in especially if production and shipping are in a rush.

Ralston18

Titan

Sometimes all sorts of odd screws get packaged in especially if production and shipping are in a rush.

Solution

grant2698

Reputable
May 16, 2018

Every screw left over in my mobo box is too big for the built-in standoff. They work perfect with the removable standoff though.

grant2698

Reputable
May 16, 2018
Are you able to unscrew the leftmost silver post and replace it with the brass post that came with the black screw?

Be sure that the threads match and you should not need to force anything.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/B250 Pro4.pdf

Verify that I found the correct user manual for your motherboard.

If so, see physically number Page 28.
Turns out my mobo didn't come with M.2 screws at all. Was using the wrong ones the whole time. Stopped doing anything before damaging any parts fortunately. I was planning on getting a new mobo anyways for some other upgrades in the near future so I guess I might as well do that now. Nevertheless, thanks for all the help!