What strains gfx card more?

MrCasualGamer

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

[No Overclocking replies please]

I have 1600x900 60Hz monitor and Ati Radon HD 5670 gfx card.

Now, while playing Planetside 2 on 1600x900 resolution and Very Low settings with all that can be turned off as turned OFF [Flora, motion blur etc] I have a decent frame rate of around 40 fps in low population battles, but the FPS drops below 20 in high pitched battles.

So what I wanted to ask is now, to get a better FPS, should i step by step come down resolutions? Will that increase the FPS ..

Which brings me to the pertinent question .. what strains gfx card more? Ultra settings on low resolution or low gfx settings on high resolution..

Thanks.

Solution
Considering you haven't told us your CPU model i'll assume you have an i7 overclocked to 4.0Ghz and the CPU is not a bottleneck.

This is what kills your GPU - from settings that have a great impact to settings that have a lower impact

Resolution -> post processing like any form of AA (except FXAA), SSAO, HBAO -> shader effects like enhanced lights, additive light pass etc -> shadows -> Anisotropic filtering and texture enhancing effects - > textures (considering you have enough ram to actually load them

emdea22

Distinguished
Considering you haven't told us your CPU model i'll assume you have an i7 overclocked to 4.0Ghz and the CPU is not a bottleneck.

This is what kills your GPU - from settings that have a great impact to settings that have a lower impact

Resolution -> post processing like any form of AA (except FXAA), SSAO, HBAO -> shader effects like enhanced lights, additive light pass etc -> shadows -> Anisotropic filtering and texture enhancing effects - > textures (considering you have enough ram to actually load them

Solution