What stupid things have USERS have done.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There was a recent question on here about what stupid things have you done to your computer. Well most of us here are pretty on top of things and just make stupid mistakes. But what about the users. What stupid things have you seen users do. Here are a few to start you off.

I had one user whos "screen went blank" I went over there saw her monitor was dark. I hit the space bar. BANG. It came back. I explained her screen saver turned off the monitor. She didn't try that. A week later I go back to the same person for the same problem. And it still baffeled her.

Another was on the internet and saw a box that said "Danger your internet isn't as fast at it could be" and freaked out. She was somewhere on the net she shouldn't have been so she didn't call right away, but she couldn't figure it out. I go there and it was a banner ad for some broadband company.

Another. I goto a client site because this laptop won't send e-mail. I get there and someone tried putting the PCMCIA card in sideways!!! The damn thing was sticking out the side like a inch and they couldn't figure it out. And whoever put it in there really jammed it in too thinking maybe if I push harder it will send it.

I could go on an on. But I'd rather hear your stories.

Alpha

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
LOL

Well I heard once someone thought the CD-ROM was a cupholder, so he called the technical support wondering what this "CD-ROM" was. I forget, but it was quite funny.

G

well i was thing if anyone ever put ice cubes in a plastic bag then cover the cpu with that bag so you can get cool temps when u over clock =p. i dunno i am still trying to figure my mobo.

G

A buddy told me he "helped" a guy who was dusting the inside of his case and pluged everything in the wrong slots, changed the jumpers, the whole sha'bang. I don't really believe it though, how could someone plug a PCI card in backwards??

G

Here was the conversation I had on phone support one evening:

Him- "hi, my new computer won't turn on."
Me- "do any lights come on or any sounds?"
Him- "No, I hit the button and it didn't do a thing."
Me- "Check to see if the power plug is in the surge protector or the wall socket correctly."
Him-(fumbles around for 30 seconds) "I don't know, I can't see anything."
Me- "why can't you see anything, sir?"
Him- "The power's out."

: )

I put him on hold and laughed histarically for 5 minutes straight. It ws the highlight of my carreer (and I'm only 18!).

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
here's one for ya. actual conversation:
cust: no matter what i try my external keyboard won't work.
me: is it plugged into the computer
cust: no, i have it plugged into my docking station
me: is the computer in the docking station
cust: no, should it be?

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
here's one for ya.
actual conversation from dell technical support:

cust: no matter what i try my external keyboard won't work.

me: is it plugged into the computer

cust: no, i have it plugged into my docking station

me: is the computer in the docking station

cust: no, should it be?

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
and another one. dell used to ship there machines with a short cable that connected to the parrellel port so that you could connect the floppy drive externally. the cable had a big flag on it "this cable for floppy use only, not the cd/dvd/cd-rw drives"
and people (including IT department heads) would wonder why there cd-rom drive wouldn't work externally

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
..My screen went blank!!! ... what really happened is the power cord was out. This happens alot where i work.
Some stupid users does not know about little button in the back of ATX p/s .
" I am pressing the power button, and nothing..." . But this is nothing compared to -My computer does not work , it sais "No Signal" ! .
There is one office that have 2 computers and one shared printer. So _EVERY_ day when i am in the morning shift i had a call from them "The printer is broken again!" . They just can't get used to the idea of turning on both of the computers and log in.
And last week we had a call from some guy that "need a cable"
me : witch cable ?
dok : power cable.
"that guy is prophessor of calculus, he must be knowing what he talking about" thought me. Big mistake. So i have to go to the other side of the campus to bring LAN cable.
I glad i am in a good shape.
I have more, but i can't recall them now.

All i can give you is the truth. Nothing more.