Question What switch do I really need?

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I'm setting up a surveillance system. I have to use a P2P bridge between 2 buildings at 2 different sites. The bridges I'm using are a Ubiquiti bridge. When I was on another forum that dealt with cameras, many said that I should make my whole system Ubiquiti. Well, that may be great for some, but I already have a new $200 + router, and would like to keep it instead of switching to a Ubiquiti one. I am in the need of several switches though. I need ones that are PoE, and will be able to supply enough power to a couple of PTZ cameras. At one site there will be 4 cameras, but 1 or 2 may be PTZ. At the other site, there will be 8 cameras, and 1 or 2 may be PTZ. Do I really need a Ubiquiti switch at those sites. 1- 4 port, and 1- 8 port?

What are your thoughts on this?

What would be a good switch? I'm just looking for a recommendation.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm setting up a surveillance system. I have to use a P2P bridge between 2 buildings at 2 different sites. The bridges I'm using are a Ubiquiti bridge. When I was on another forum that dealt with cameras, many said that I should make my whole system Ubiquiti. Well, that may be great for some, but I already have a new $200 + router, and would like to keep it instead of switching to a Ubiquiti one. I am in the need of several switches though. I need ones that are PoE, and will be able to supply enough power to a couple of PTZ cameras. At one site there will be 4 cameras, but 1 or 2 may be PTZ. At the other site, there will be 8 cameras, and 1 or 2 may be PTZ. Do I really need a Ubiquiti switch at those sites. 1- 4 port, and 1- 8 port?

What are your thoughts on this?

What would be a good switch? I'm just looking for a recommendation.

Thanks.
You need to verify what type of POE your cameras need. 24VDC passive or 48VDC 802.3af ? That makes a difference in what POE switch can be used.