I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
the way it was at that time. I'd like to know what it does
with regard to non-Windows system files. Specifically, what
about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
similarly, what about mail and other application packages
with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
data stored after the Restore Point?

Thank you.
--
William B. Lurie

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org>
wrote in news:%23qSM6gcwEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
> I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
> restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
> the way it was at that time. I'd like to know what it does
> with regard to non-Windows system files. Specifically, what
> about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
> they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
> similarly, what about mail and other application packages
> with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
> they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
> data stored after the Restore Point?
>
> Thank you.

System Restore is *NOT* a backup or drive imaging program to let you
recover data files. It lets you revert registry changes and recover
*system* files. That is why it is called *SYSTEM* Restore. System
Restore is used to return the computer to a previous system state. Data
files are not part of the system state. In fact, imagine the wail of
users that would lose all their changes to their documents after they
did a system restore. Everything you edited or composed after the
selected restore point would disappear. If you had used the included
"Start -> Help and Support" then you would've seen mentioned under the
"System Restore Overview" topic the following comment:

"Restoring your computer does not affect or change your personal
data files. For information about backing up personal data files, see
'Backing up files and folders'.

There is much more information in the included help. Also read the
topic titled "Understanding System Restore".

If you want to backup your data then do so using NT Backup, a 3rd party
backup program, copying files to other media, save drive images, etc.

In news:%23qSM6gcwEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
William B. Lurie <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

>I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
> restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
> the way it was at that time.

Yes.

> I'd like to know what it does
> with regard to non-Windows system files.

Nothing.

> Specifically, what
> about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
> they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
> similarly, what about mail and other application packages
> with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
> they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
> data stored after the Restore Point?

No and no. System Restore does nothing to data files.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Most everyone has given you the answers you seek.

All that said, you should realize that there are times when data files will
be removed. For example, people have reported losing recently downloaded
files after doing a System Restore. Hence, it is advisable to place any
such files in the My Documents folder or some sub-folder of the My Documents
folder as that folder is specifically protected from System Restore.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
> restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
> the way it was at that time. I'd like to know what it does
> with regard to non-Windows system files. Specifically, what
> about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
> they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
> similarly, what about mail and other application packages
> with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
> they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
> data stored after the Restore Point?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> William B. Lurie

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
|I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
| restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
| the way it was at that time. I'd like to know what it does
| with regard to non-Windows system files. Specifically, what
| about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
| they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
| similarly, what about mail and other application packages
| with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
| they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
| data stored after the Restore Point?
|
| Thank you.
| --
| William B. Lurie

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Hi

System Restore doesn't monitor data files. You can see what SR does/doesn't
monitor in the following file, but please don't alter anything in it:

%systemroot%\system32\Restore\filelist.xml

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
> restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
> the way it was at that time. I'd like to know what it does
> with regard to non-Windows system files. Specifically, what
> about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
> they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
> similarly, what about mail and other application packages
> with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
> they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
> data stored after the Restore Point?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> William B. Lurie

anonymous_58

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

In news:%23qSM6gcwEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
William B. Lurie <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

>I could use a bit of clarification. It is my understanding that
> restoring to a stored Restore Point restores the "System" to
> the way it was at that time.

Yes.

> I'd like to know what it does
> with regard to non-Windows system files.

Nothing.

> Specifically, what
> about files in C:\Program Files that have stored data......will
> they revert to the stored data as of the Restore Point? And,
> similarly, what about mail and other application packages
> with history, stored in C:\ but not part of Windows.....Will
> they end up restored to Restore Point data, i.e., losing all
> data stored after the Restore Point?

No and no. System Restore does nothing to data files.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Twice I have had installed programs that were mal ware and resisted removal by traditional means. I used the closest restore point before my foolish installation of these programs and it worked making them vanish cleanly along with their folders and shortcuts. I assumed that part of the registry was erased and the point was entitled pre installation of whatever.
My real question is whether system restore has any value to drives other then C: (or system root drive)? I know it says monitoring while it eats gigs of space but if your D drive is music , pictures,movies or any media, what can restore do to help a crash or malfunction in a D: E: or an F drive. Is it even designed for that task and if it isn't why not disable it,(except in C:) and reclaim the tons of hard drive space restore requires on each drive.
Speaking of reclaiming space the Recycle bins no longer need to take 10% (by default) since drives are now usually over 100 gigs or more. Who needs even one gig for a recycle bin except in rare cases and you know who you are! Can be adjusted by right clicking on the bin's properties and deciding what % of the drive you need for those purposes.