Discussion What tech channels do you currently watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have enjoyed watching various YouTube tech channels over the past few years and was wondering who you watch and like?

My current fave is probably TechYesCity. I enjoy Bry's take on systems and in particular his flair for making something useful out of what many would consider too old. I enjoy JayzTwoCents, Pauls Hardware, RandomGaminginHD, Greg Salazar, Dawid Does Tech Stuff, OZ, among others.
I used to enjoy Awesome Hardware, the colab between Paul and Kyle. IDK what exactly happened in regard to his divorce, but the new attitude he has sort of bothers me, or has bothered me a bit. I noted in his last couple of videos he seems to be coming back down to Earth a bit. I also used to enjoy Linus Tech Tips a lot, but dunno something changed a bit about my enjoyment of his show as well.

I came across an interesting channel called "BRO" where I think just does builds. There are a few others that I watch from time to time.

Who are you watching?

Jayz - I always feel like I got click-baited into watching a vid and got nothing out of it.
LTT - Entertaining, but light on details. I enjoy Techlinked
GamersNexus - Good detail.
Pauls - Haven't watched a ton of his stuff
etc etc

I think the real takeaway is that video content has to be more geared toward entertainment rather than information/data you can digest, learn, and use elsewhere. That's really where print media shines. You can go back and re-read, you can save/link articles/charts/etc on forums like this. Print media just has the ability to include so much more detail than video. It's a shame it's dying.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Steve over at GN is VERY detail oriented. I won't say I don't enjoy his content, but it's very rare that my eyes don't glaze a bit and think to myself "come the F on!" while watching much of (their) content. I really do enjoy if he/they do a review on a specific product that I might be interested in purchasing because it is super rare that he leaves a stone unturned in regard to detail about it.

Recently the ones I've been watching more or less regularly (or at least pay attention when there's something new) are:
  • MKBHD
  • Mr Mobile
  • 8-Bit Guy
  • LGR
  • Digital Foundry
  • Linus Tech Tips, sort of (I only care about the odd things they do)
A lot of other tech channels I don't really pay attention too because I don't really get much out of them or I feel like I'm supposed to be angry at someone at the end of the day.

Steve over at GN is VERY detail oriented. I won't say I don't enjoy his content, but it's very rare that my eyes don't glaze a bit and think to myself "come the F on!" while watching much of (their) content.
Best I can describe is that GN produces videos of print media content. They produce all the charts you see in their vids within print articles hosted on their site. It's generally educational (except for his rant pieces, which can get long-winded). Because of their small employee count and the amount of effort that goes into their testing, their content is limited, but that's not a bad thing IMO. They do have some expansions in the works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't make a habit of watching many really
GN - I look at case reviews, just to see whats out there.
Jayz - sometimes
LTT - rarely.

Techmoan - though its mostly obscure audio/video formats

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will check them out, thanks.

@Colif- I actually recently quit watching LTT and his spinoff channels. IDK, he seems so separated from my own experience that even watching was like trying to learn a different language. He seems to have interest in reviewing or creating content on such high end and niche items.

I would really love to see Awesome Hardware come back. I have noticed that both Paul and Kyle have been mentioning each other on their independent channels again.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
LTT is geared towards a younger audience, and a lot of the content could be described as fancy unboxing. Being as they are quite large they get to do more heavily sponsored content. So, yes, a lot of what they cover is very expensive hardware. Smaller channels fill the niche of budget builds.

I do enjoy watching them do things in-house in very poor ways. They've slowly been moving into engineering and design though and bringing on people who can actually do some of things they have tried out, so I wouldn't be surprised if their merch offerings start going into more direct PC hardware offerings.

GN for your critical reviews. I like their standardized CPU and GPU charts along with thermal testing. Looking forward to them becoming the source of PSU and Fan reviews.

I've found myself skipping through Jayz content of late. Nothing really new out of him for a while. I enjoy water cooling, but I don't go for the extremely idealized builds he does.

Paul's Hardware is good for moderate builds I have found.

+1 for Techmoan, LGR, and 8-Bit!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree that Jayz has been really devoid of much worth spending time watching lately. I like his take on things and his approach but feel like he might be in a slump. Sort of the same as Kyle (bitwit) that when you are reviewing viewers system you don't have anything to talk about. I guess it comes down to just keeping the channel active.

Colif

Win 11 Master
LTT is geared towards a younger audience, and a lot of the content could be described as fancy unboxing. Being as they are quite large they get to do more heavily sponsored content. So, yes, a lot of what they cover is very expensive hardware.
I don't know what you mean, you don't have 1 million to make a PC? peasant :)

His PC builds have always been out of my reach.
Dawid does tech is another one who aims at lower end but in silly ways

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
GN when I need a review or want to laugh at sucky Alienware builds.
LTT sometimes but they upload so much variety I find a lot of it boring
Dawid cause he's hilarious
Paul tech news and gamermeld for news

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't. Not in a minute anyways. I got kinda burned out on rehashes of the same old stuff. Let's build a pc for $5k paid for by Intel, let's talk about gpus that very few can afford and which gets a couple more fps...

There were a few that changed it up a bit, the stuff GN did on the Gigabyte psus, Jay trying to find a fix for a gpu etc. Those were interesting, and I really liked the ones der8auer did on rescuing pc's caught in a flood. Buildzoid has some decent ones out on ram and mobo's.

I tried watching Tom's, but it didn't work out well at all, there was one tester (think it was gpus) he was good, his delivery was solid yet personable, but the others were seriously lackluster. Sorry.

Reactions: Red Desert
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS