What temperature to permanently destroy data on an SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowanf

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I know shredding is the standard sanitization procedure, but out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew.

Solution
Those ranges are when damage will occur. There was a jedec presentation about ssd data loss and even a 55c power off temp had data loss within 1 week. Surely 100c will be shorter but I'm talking like 200c which many ovens can do. At that point, some solders will even melt. Of course a hammer or torch or other simple ways are always an easy overkill to be on the safe side.
Those ranges are when damage will occur. There was a jedec presentation about ssd data loss and even a 55c power off temp had data loss within 1 week. Surely 100c will be shorter but I'm talking like 200c which many ovens can do. At that point, some solders will even melt. Of course a hammer or torch or other simple ways are always an easy overkill to be on the safe side.

Solution

rowanf

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Even if things start to melt off the PCB, couldn't you just nab the NAND flash out of there and read it in a reader? Thanks for the responses so far though, hah, I know I'm being nitpicky. ^^.

rowanf

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Ahhh? And you are sure? Because I know they used to anneal to like 250 °C to repair bad cells, but are you sure that clears out the entire cell or just the electrons that have been caught irreversibly in the oxide?

lakimens

Honorable
If I wanted to fry it, I'd put it in the oven and put the temp to max. Microwave would also do the trick, but the microwave won't be usable after that. Another way, is to drill a few holes in it. Get creative, watch some videos on different chemical fires, drop it in a superacid...There are plenty of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.