What temps are you guys getting with the Noctua NH-D15S?

deanl477

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
I have an Intel Core i7 7700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz and it idles at around 35C minimum and 42C maximum. When at full load, My CPU is around 60C and 68C maximum. Are any of you getting the same temperatures with this cooler? I've been worrying that the temperatures are too high ever since I got this cooler.

Solution
Your CPU is good for full time operation all the way up to 80°C continuously. Your temps are in line with, and actually, very good for, the overclock you have. I am skeptical that you actually have a completely stable overclock though with that low of temperatures. What is your core voltage at?

What do you have CPU load line calibration set to?

Are you using an automatic overclocking feature or are you overclocking manually through the bios?

Have you run Prime95 version 26.6 on Blend mode for 8 hrs and Realbench for 8 hours with no errors in either program?

If not, I would have serious concerns regarding micro errors and stability. Just because you aren't getting blue screens doesn't mean the overclock is stable. If you are only in...
Your CPU is good for full time operation all the way up to 80°C continuously. Your temps are in line with, and actually, very good for, the overclock you have. I am skeptical that you actually have a completely stable overclock though with that low of temperatures. What is your core voltage at?

What do you have CPU load line calibration set to?

Are you using an automatic overclocking feature or are you overclocking manually through the bios?

Have you run Prime95 version 26.6 on Blend mode for 8 hrs and Realbench for 8 hours with no errors in either program?

If not, I would have serious concerns regarding micro errors and stability. Just because you aren't getting blue screens doesn't mean the overclock is stable. If you are only in the thermal testing portion of the overclock process, then I'd suggest you need to run Prime95 version 26.6, and ONLY version 26.6, for about 15 minutes using the Small FFT option. If your CPU stays below 80°C then you are thermally compliant. If it does not, you are not.

Prime95 v26.6 is THE primarily accepted way to do the majority of baseline thermal compliance testing running the Small FFT option.

Prime95 Version 26.6 download

Further, you can find extensive information regarding the Intel CPU architectures and specifications at the following link which is a somewhat definitive guide on that subject. The information below is taken directly from conversations with Computronix who is also the author of the Intel temperature guide, found here:

The Intel temperature guide

For AMD systems, specifically Zen/Ryzen, this should offer similar albeit not nearly as detailed information on that architecture.

Ryzen overclocking guide

AMD FX and A series overclocking guide

This is probably about the most referred to overclocking guide around, and it's principles can be applied to a variety of generations and platforms.

The Ultimate Overclocking Guide

This pretty well sums things up and is equally relevant whether working with an Intel or an AMD system.

I can think of several reasons why x264 encoding or AVX / AVX2 / FMA3 apps won't work as a unilateral metric for thermal testing.

(1) A steady-state workload gives steady-state temperatures; encoding does not.

(2) Simplicity in methodology; most users would find encoding apps unfamiliar and cumbersome to accomplish a simple task.

(3) Most users such as gamers never run any apps which use AVX or FMA, so adaptive or manual voltage aside, it makes no sense to downgrade your overclock to accommodate those loads and temps unless you KNOW you will be making significant use of AVX/FMA/AVX2.

(4) Standardization; Prime95 has been around since 1996; many users are familiar with it. It is TRIED and TRUE.

For the minority of users who routinely run AVX/FMA apps, then P95 v28.5 or later can be useful for tweaking the BIOS for thermal and stability testing on THOSE types of systems only. For others, it is not recommended.

regardless of platform or architecture, Prime95 v26.6 works equally well across ALL platforms. Steady-state is the key. How can anyone extrapolate accurate core temperatures from workloads that fluctuate like a bad day on the stock market? They can't. That's why steady state is necessary for testing of thermal compliance and for baseline stability verification.

I'm aware of 5 utilities with steady-state workloads. In order of load level they are:

(1) Prime95 v26.6 - Small FFT's (Important. NOT Blend or Large FFT)
(2) HeavyLoad - Stress CPU
(3) FurMark - CPU Burner
(4) Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - CPU Load
(5) AIDA64 - Tools - System Stability Test - Stress CPU

AIDA64's Stress CPU fails to load any overclocked / overvolted CPU to get anywhere TDP, and is therefore useless, except for giving naive users a sense of false security because their temps are so low.

HeavyLoad is the closest alternative. Temps and watts are within 3% of Small FFT's.

-Computronix

Solution