Question What temps should i expect from a x72 and a i9 9900k I want to overclock to 5GHZ

May 20, 2019
Hi, I am a video editor. I use After Effects and Premiere Pro a lot. I recently I built my first PC! These are the specs:

CPU: i9 990k
CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X72
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z390-E
RAM: 32 GB GSKILL 3200 MHZ Trident-Z RGB
GPU: Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC
STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 gb M.2, Samsung 870 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD
CASE: NZXT H700i
PSU: Corsair Hx 750 Platinum PSU

I am running the 360mm Rad in the top of the H700i case with all three fans as exhaust. I have 3 intake fans on the front, and one last 140mm fan as exhaust on the back.
(I feel like my fan configuration is leading to higher temps)

The AIO is seated correctly (or so i think, i tried tightening an all the screws again and they are making contact correctly)

With this PC I want to overclock to a steady 5GHZ so my rendering speeds are super fast.

Currently the i9 9900k is running at 4.7 GHZ

Hi Toucher_of_cancer :)

The i9 9900k runs hot even at stock 4.7MHz.
I have found better results with top mounted AIOs with AIR being drawn from outside the case. (case temps are never lower than Ambient). Especially with none reference GPU cards
The Kraken X72 should be capable of keeping temperatures in check up to 5ghz.
Ideal temps are 10-15C above ambient at idle and 65-75C under load.

What are your CPU temps under load. (using AIDA64 for 10mins) ?
What type of TIM are you using ?

May 20, 2019
I ran Cinebench R20 all core test 5 times and I'm getting temps of Max 70ºC Under load at 4.7Ghz. I have the radiator at the top pushing air through it towards the outside, im going to move it to the front pulling cool air in and see if there is a noticeable difference

DerCribben

Reputable
Jun 18, 2019
Linus tech tips just did a video on watercooling that shows some surprising results regarding off the shelf liquid cooling systems, including the big "best" ones. (Worth also noting that those off the shelf units do nothing to cool your mosfets but they do restrict the airflow that does help cool them. Also worth noting that a custom setup can cool anything you want, but they come with their own bag of tricks like expense, maintenance, and a higher possibility of a disaster happening if you don't know what you're doing.)

When you're done with that you should head over to OC and check out this thread on optimal airflow. Because it's solid info that goes into positive case pressure and "airflow vs airblow".

TRENDING THREADS