[SOLVED] What temps should I expect on a Ryzen 9 3900X

Apr 21, 2020
Hi all,
As a relative newbie to PCs I have a Ryzen 9 3900X running on a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wifi with Corsair 32GB 3200GHz (4x8 modules) using a fractal 3 fan AIO Cooling system on the CPU + 3 case exhaust fans.
I am trying to get an idea of what sort of temperatures I should be expecting under little or no load to fairly heavy loads!!
Cheers
Kev

Solution
I also upgrade a month ago (from a 8 year old build) to the 3900x with a X73 Kraken AIO on a Asus B550-F Mobo. When checking temps for the first few times, I was overly concerned and read so many forums, youtube comments, and reddit threads. I got answers all over the place which didn't lead me anywhere other than to leave it at stock until I actually find a better solution. I'm no tech wizard when it comes to PC parts, but know enough to get around at least ( I hope! lol) Anyway, I am also getting idle temps around 40C-45C. Sometimes I see it jump to 50C but I heard thats normal. Voltages seem be around 1.3-1.4ish as well. When I did the voltage offset in bios by - .1, I didn't notice much difference either.

However! In Ryzen...

Lutfij

Titan
Read here. Your overall temps will also depend on the amount of background app's running in the OS and the ambient room air temps. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update, IMHO.

Also, please include your specs in the body of the thread. Sig space specs can and will change over time and this thread might end up being moot over time to the person in the same boat as you.

Apr 21, 2020
Read here. Your overall temps will also depend on the amount of background app's running in the OS and the ambient room air temps. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update, IMHO.

Also, please include your specs in the body of the thread. Sig space specs can and will change over time and this thread might end up being moot over time to the person in the same boat as you.
Lutfij, I thought I had included the specs in the body and also in the signature!!
The Motherboard has the latest ASUS Bios from their website and ambient room temp is about 19deg C.
I was after a general input from other users with a similar or same setup setup with no load ( no apps running ) to fairly heavy load ( ie a game like DCS World which is fairly heavy on graphics ).
What else can I put??

Thanks

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi all,
As a relative newbie to PCs I have a Ryzen 9 3900X running on a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wifi with Corsair 32GB 3200GHz (4x8 modules) using a fractal 3 fan AIO Cooling system on the CPU + 3 case exhaust fans.
I am trying to get an idea of what sort of temperatures I should be expecting under little or no load to fairly heavy loads!!
Cheers
Kev
I have a similar build to yours with a 3900X, same type RAM, EVGA 2060 RTX, but with a Noctua U12S air cooler. My idles are in the low mid 30s with occasional spikes to the mid 40s area which is normal for these chips. On full load Prime 95 blend for 10 hours, highest temp was 76C. I'm not a huge gamer but after a half hour of GTA 5, highest CPU temp was in the lower 60s. It was hitting 90C right after the build until I did my BIOS flash, chipset update, and voltage offset of negative 0.1v, no overclock. I'd suspect you could achieve better temps with your superior cooling

Last edited:
Reactions: subseauk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Measure the temperature of the air entering the cpu cooler. Sit a small thermometer on it, or hang a thermal sensor in front of it.
That will pretty much be the baseline temperature: the idle thermals will never be lower than that.

As for load thermals, that's going to depend on chassis design, hardware being used, and your cooling setup.

Apr 21, 2020
Thanks guys
For info I have a Cooler Master- MasterCase MC600P and I will have to do the thermometer trick .
I haven't recorded the temps as yet but from memory I believe it to idle at 40C and I will have to check again what it is under heavy load and post it on here.

Thanks
Kev

darrenz

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I also upgrade a month ago (from a 8 year old build) to the 3900x with a X73 Kraken AIO on a Asus B550-F Mobo. When checking temps for the first few times, I was overly concerned and read so many forums, youtube comments, and reddit threads. I got answers all over the place which didn't lead me anywhere other than to leave it at stock until I actually find a better solution. I'm no tech wizard when it comes to PC parts, but know enough to get around at least ( I hope! lol) Anyway, I am also getting idle temps around 40C-45C. Sometimes I see it jump to 50C but I heard thats normal. Voltages seem be around 1.3-1.4ish as well. When I did the voltage offset in bios by - .1, I didn't notice much difference either.

However! In Ryzen Master, when I created a profile, I set the control mode to Manual, Cores to 4200 with 1.25V and it was actually the best result I got in terms of temps and score in cinebench20. Idle at 35C-40C for the most part and benched around 7204 pts (multi core, 67C max). I tried setting these values in bios but it came up a little different as I am unsure how to set it properly. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
However! In Ryzen Master, when I created a profile, I set the control mode to Manual, Cores to 4200 with 1.25V and it was actually the best result I got in terms of temps and score in cinebench20. Idle at 35C-40C for the most part and benched around 7204 pts (multi core, 67C max). I tried setting these values in bios but it came up a little different as I am unsure how to set it properly. If anyone knows, please let me know.
And by using manual, you just threw away 400mhz single thread boost...
If the cpu isn't running 85C or higher under load with auto settings, then there's nothing wrong; you are creating a problem out of one that isn't there.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Apr 21, 2020
Hey Phaaze88
I was just getting reassured reading the post by darranz and then yours popped up and I don't think you really answered his question about how to set up the bios and in doing so confused me ( not hard LoL )
Please can you explain a little further? What is the best method to use in setting up and monitoring hard ware as there are a lot of seemingly conflicting programs out there. A quarter of my screen seems to be taken up with apps for doing this!!!
Thanks for the input
Kev

Reactions: darrenz
Apr 21, 2020
I have a similar build to yours with a 3900X, same type RAM, EVGA 2060 RTX, but with a Noctua U12S air cooler. My idles are in the low mid 30s with occasional spikes to the mid 40s area which is normal for these chips. On full load Prime 95 blend for 10 hours, highest temp was 76C. I'm not a huge gamer but after a half hour of GTA 5, highest CPU temp was in the lower 60s. It was hitting 90C right after the build until I did my BIOS flash, chipset update, and voltage offset of negative 0.1v, no overclock. I'd suspect you could achieve better temps with your superior cooling
Hi beorn, I have the latest bios from ASUS ROG for everything but my temps still seem a lot higher than I was expecting. Not knowing what they should normally run at puts me at a bit of a disadvantage. Also what monitoring programs and testing programs are you using as there seems to be so many even that is confusing!!
What settings do you have in the bios regarding any overclocking etc as I assume that may also effect temps?
Cheers
Kev

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@darrenz
Ok... downvote me because there was some truth in my words? [Some folks think upvote/downvote is anonymous. It's not.]
Manual settings is very inefficient on Ryzen 3000, and the higher up the product stack one goes, the worse the tradeoff gets between single and multi thread performance.
The 3900X has a 4.6ghz single thread boost. If you manually set 4.2ghz, it can no longer boost to 4.6 when it wants to, but you won't see that in an application like Cinebench, because it loads ALL threads by default.
You have to go to Advanced Settings and run the single thread benchmark.

Plus, not everything takes advantage of the small bump in multi core you may have gained from doing so; some apps still rely on single thread, and throwing away 400mhz will hurt if you're trying to min-max.

These cpus have power and temperature limits and boost their multi core performance on their own if the headroom is there, much like Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series do.
Advertised single thread is not affected.
Most users will run into the boost temperature threshold at 80C, long before they hit the power limits; 80C is where the cpu will stop trying to boost on it's own regarding all active threads.
If the user gets a big enough cooling solution, then the power limit is the only restriction in the way.
So, instead of manual, just get a beefy cooler, and one can get good thermals without sacrificing anything; it'll still boost to the advertised single thread, and the difference in multi core will hardly be noticeable.

Like, 2-3 months ago, there was someone who overclocked their 3950X to 4.3ghz. That may sound impressive, until you look up the advertised single thread boost: 4.7ghz...

What is the best method to use in setting up and monitoring hard ware as there are a lot of seemingly conflicting programs out there. A quarter of my screen seems to be taken up with apps for doing this!!!
Thanks for the input
Kev
You can use either Ryzen Master, or Hwinfo. Try 'em both and see which you prefer more.

Now Asus has apparently been following AMD's guidelines for stock operation more closely than the other vendors, so you shouldn't be having too much trouble with thermals.
It's just been the usual rat race between them trying to one-up each other in performance, but the end user is the one that gets screwed over, because those tweaks to the default bios makes the chips run warmer than they already do.

If you are having any serious thermal issues - 85C and up - then it's most assuredly the chassis; it doesn't look like a strong contender for airflow. Hybrid coolers still need good air flow, just like any other cooler.
A)You've got a blower gpu, so I know that's not interfering, since it dumps all it's waste heat out the back, unlike the axial fan models that dump most of it inside the chassis.

B)The hybrid cooler should be running at 100% pump speed. Doesn't really do it any justice to run it lower than that. That means having to run loud fans - I have a Celsius S36 as well, so I know.
So, what you're going to have to do is unplug the fans from the cooler's controller and plug them to the motherboard instead - if it's short on available headers, then get a Y or W splitter.
That way, you can control the pump speed and the fans separately.

Hope this helps!

Apr 21, 2020
@darrenz
Ok... downvote me because there was some truth in my words? [Some folks think upvote/downvote is anonymous. It's not.]
Manual settings is very inefficient on Ryzen 3000, and the higher up the product stack one goes, the worse the tradeoff gets between single and multi thread performance.
The 3900X has a 4.6ghz single thread boost. If you manually set 4.2ghz, it can no longer boost to 4.6 when it wants to, but you won't see that in an application like Cinebench, because it loads ALL threads by default.
You have to go to Advanced Settings and run the single thread benchmark.

Plus, not everything takes advantage of the small bump in multi core you may have gained from doing so; some apps still rely on single thread, and throwing away 400mhz will hurt if you're trying to min-max.

These cpus have power and temperature limits and boost their multi core performance on their own if the headroom is there, much like Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series do.
Advertised single thread is not affected.
Most users will run into the boost temperature threshold at 80C, long before they hit the power limits; 80C is where the cpu will stop trying to boost on it's own regarding all active threads.
If the user gets a big enough cooling solution, then the power limit is the only restriction in the way.
So, instead of manual, just get a beefy cooler, and one can get good thermals without sacrificing anything; it'll still boost to the advertised single thread, and the difference in multi core will hardly be noticeable.

Like, 2-3 months ago, there was someone who overclocked their 3950X to 4.3ghz. That may sound impressive, until you look up the advertised single thread boost: 4.7ghz...

You can use either Ryzen Master, or Hwinfo. Try 'em both and see which you prefer more.

Now Asus has apparently been following AMD's guidelines for stock operation more closely than the other vendors, so you shouldn't be having too much trouble with thermals.
It's just been the usual rat race between them trying to one-up each other in performance, but the end user is the one that gets screwed over, because those tweaks to the default bios makes the chips run warmer than they already do.

If you are having any serious thermal issues - 85C and up - then it's most assuredly the chassis; it doesn't look like a strong contender for airflow. Hybrid coolers still need good air flow, just like any other cooler.
A)You've got a blower gpu, so I know that's not interfering, since it dumps all it's waste heat out the back, unlike the axial fan models that dump most of it inside the chassis.

B)The hybrid cooler should be running at 100% pump speed. Doesn't really do it any justice to run it lower than that. That means having to run loud fans - I have a Celsius S36 as well, so I know.
So, what you're going to have to do is unplug the fans from the cooler's controller and plug them to the motherboard instead - if it's short on available headers, then get a Y or W splitter.
That way, you can control the pump speed and the fans separately.

Hope this helps!

Hey Phaaze88

I never down voted you ( not knowingly at least!!! ) please let me know if I did. I certainly never meant to! I appreciate all the input from you guys.
Rgds
Kev

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hi beorn, I have the latest bios from ASUS ROG for everything but my temps still seem a lot higher than I was expecting. Not knowing what they should normally run at puts me at a bit of a disadvantage. Also what monitoring programs and testing programs are you using as there seems to be so many even that is confusing!!
What settings do you have in the bios regarding any overclocking etc as I assume that may also effect temps?
Cheers
Kev
I don't have anything overclocked. It seems to run quite fast even without it. 4.6 ghz on single core, and even multicore it's between 4.0-4.2 usually. I use CoreTemp or GPU-Z to monitor temps (usually GPU Z lately since it has both GPU & CPU). As far as temp testing, Cinebench 20 multicore tops out around 70-71C. Prime 95 76C after several hours. That's at room temperature or slightly above

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I never down voted you ( not knowingly at least!!! ) please let me know if I did. I certainly never meant to! I appreciate all the input from you guys.
No worries, mate. I know it wasn't you. The system notifies you on how others react to your posts.
Everything above my last quote was mostly aimed at darrenz, who appears to have gotten defensive towards my remark of their 4.2ghz manual setting being detrimental to the cpu's performance overall, and if the cpu wasn't overheating to begin with, there was nothing to change.
You may also find that info useful, since you also have a 3900X like they do.

I mean, if darrenz didn't agree, then surely they had a reasonable counterargument? Nothing other than a downvote yet.

Apr 21, 2020
I don't have anything overclocked. It seems to run quite fast even without it. 4.6 ghz on single core, and even multicore it's between 4.0-4.2 usually. I use CoreTemp or GPU-Z to monitor temps (usually GPU Z lately since it has both GPU & CPU). As far as temp testing, Cinebench 20 multicore tops out around 70-71C. Prime 95 76C after several hours. That's at room temperature or slightly above
Thanks Born