[SOLVED] what test can i ask a seller to do to show me the state of his used desktop

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
im looking for a used pc possibility that in interesting.

could you tell me what components can be tested and what is a good enough result to accept a used pc
for exemple i think i can ask the seller to run memtest86 to tell ? about the ram life still remaining in it.

is it possible to test cpu? mobo? Hdd? what are the name of the tests that i can ask the vendor to do

tx
what test can i ask a seller to do to show me the state of his used desktop

Reactions: thefxgamingrules
Solution
hi
im looking for a used pc possibility that in interesting.

could you tell me what components can be tested and what is a good enough result to accept a used pc
for exemple i think i can ask the seller to run memtest86 to tell ? about the ram life still remaining in it.

is it possible to test cpu? mobo? Hdd? what are the name of the tests that i can ask the vendor to do

tx
what test can i ask a seller to do to show me the state of his used desktop
No test can tell you how long any component would last, only present state.
memtest86 for RAM
Hard disk sentinel for disk(s)
An hour of Prime95 or OCCT.
FurMark for GPU

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
What CountMike said is correct; though I'd also recommend using HWiNFO64 to see how worn out the HDDs/SSDs are. For an HDD, any higher than a few of bad sectors is an indication that the drive has faced some wear and tear and higher number (~100+) may indicate the drive is on its way out. Also just as a precaution, use GPU-Z to make sure the GPU included is legit and BIOS modded to look like something else.

Reactions: Desch_

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
Yes, those but I wouldn't agree about disks, any bad or relocated sector makes a disk highly suspect. Once those develop, even single one and no telling how long it may last. they tend to propagate fast.
Not disagreeing, but speaking from personal experience; my game drive from my last PC (a Seagate Barracuda), has had 32 bad sectors since a long time and they haven't increased. However, again, I WOULD NOT trust a drive with bad sectors to hold any important information/precious data.

USAFRet

Titan
Not disagreeing, but speaking from personal experience; my game drive from my last PC (a Seagate Barracuda), has had 32 bad sectors since a long time and they haven't increased. However, again, I WOULD NOT trust a drive with bad sectors to hold any important information/precious data.
And I had a drive (3TB WD) go from seemingly perfect to dead in about 36 hours.. 5 weeks off the store shelf.
I also had a 1TB SSD go from perfect to completely dead in the space of 10 minutes. Power off, come back 10 minutels later, power on...dead drive.

I don't trust ANY drive with the only copy of data I wish to retain.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
cool i appreciate your answer.

now what is the most important to test cause if i ask all those test to a seller, ... h will probable say @ get lost man@ it s too much

so.

what is most important to check with fastest program for it

and if there is a program that test 2 or 3 things at the same time even better.

it is not a 1 k pc so i cant be to demanding for it ...

tx

USAFRet

Titan
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
ok but ill assume people are honest i just want to ask them a simple action that would give me a general idea of the state of the pc atm.
which one test would be to be asked?
Most people are, yes.
But if ALL were, we would not see the myriad scams on ebay/amazon/craigslist/YourLocalReseller...

How much is this system?
What is the full parts list?

For tests? There are several noted in above replies.

And if you DO get a used PC, the first thing you personally need to do is a full wipe and reinstall. OS and everything.
You don't want any bits of the old users in there.