[SOLVED] What the best ATX computer chassis for my upcoming Ryzen 7 3700X (8 Cores/16 Threads - TDP:65W) setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
What the best ATX Form Factor Case for my upcoming Ryzen 7 3700X Setup?

Price ranges from $25 to $100 USD (AMAZON and Newegg Only - No Microcenter)
Form Factor: ATX

Cable Management Difficulty: Easy

Last edited:
Solution
Newer cpus don't require more cooling. One of the hottest running cpus of all time was the Pentium 4, any of the extreme series of c2q, any of the 140 HEDT cpus, the amd fx 9 series cpus etc. What requires more cooling is you. Ppl are finally getting around to knowing that cpus under 70° (the lower the better) are best. For years, ppl didn't care, coolers were mostly an afterthought. Now, cool and quiet is king.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I'm not sure but its possible.
The S340 is much more modern than the S210 since the S340 has a side window, no 5 1/4 bays, and a psu shroud, unlike the S210.
The NZXT H500 is the successor to the s340 or s340 elite.
I do not need some case soo big, a case that i can easily hit the power button on top and should be enough as long its a good ATX Case that has easy cable management were do i even start with that?

Not really.
The large heatsynce utilizing heatpipes on the wraith prism can dissipate more heat than the intels puny aluminium heatsync, making the stock wraith fan only need to spin at a lower rpm on chips with simmilar heat outputs

The amd stock coolers are actually lower pitched and perceivably quieter compared to intel.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Not really.
The large heatsynce utilizing heatpipes on the wraith prism can dissipate more heat than the intels puny aluminium heatsync, making the stock wraith fan only need to spin at a lower rpm on chips with simmilar heat outputs

The amd stock coolers are actually lower pitched and perceivably quieter compared to intel.
By leaving RGB Led on the AMD Prism Cooler..it would make it slightly hotter and making it harder to cool of heat in the case?

Have you looked at the tdps? 7nm makes upcoming models more efficient. You could wait 2 days for thermals and noise testing on the new chips if you believe contrary.

2700x=105w
3700x=65w

Both have the rgb wraith prism.

Concidering AMD sticks to their tdps unlike another large cpu manufacturer (cough cough team blue), the R7 3700x should run cooler, perform better, and be quieter than the 2700x.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Have you looked at the tdps? 7nm makes upcoming models more efficient. You could wait 2 days for thermals and noise testing on the new chips if you believe contrary.

2700x=105w
3700x=65w

Both have the rgb wraith prism.

Concidering AMD sticks to their tdps unlike another large cpu manufacturer (cough cough team blue), the R7 3700x should run cooler, perform better, and be quieter than the 2700x.
AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-and-Ryzen-7-3700X-CPU-Review_Power.png

It looks it uses more power which also indicates more heat .

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Buddy, i hate to break it too you, but you are wrong. While some cases with a bottom mounted psu may allow you to face the fan upwards, it doesnt make sense so the s340 doesnt allow this.
The fan up would make the psu blow hot air directly up on your video card and not actually exhaust the air.

I have an nzxt s340 hosting my main pc, so i know its ins and outs. The only venting on the cage directly on top of the psu is the tiny holes drilled for 2.5 in drives. The psu is not intended to face up, so there is not path for the air other than the vents by the front of the cage, blocked by the hard drive bays.

Btw, we all can read your messages without the unneeded large font.

Buddy, I hate to break it to you but you are wrong....

Exhaust is exhaust, goes right out the back of the case. Fan orientation does not change that. A fan facing upwards simply means it uses case air as the intake, exactly the same as a top mounted psu. Bottom oriented fan psu draws air from under the case. Many cases have front intake fans that supply the psu shroud with air partially, this is done because that's also where many have secondary or even primary hdd/ssd mounting, so a top fan psu (if sufficient space above the psu itself) will actually facilitate airflow from the intake, and not use case air. Just the supplied shrouded airflow.

There's also cases like a few Antec make that are designed with a ½" space below the psu, and no bottom vent, just for rugs etc.

The fan will NOT blow hot air directly up into the video card, in fact the opposite, it'll draw air from under the video card, creating a larger low pressure area there in concert with the gpu fans, which has a side affect of creating higher airflow in that region.

Power and heat are not synonymous, but are only assumed to be so. Depends entirely on the efficiency of the cpu. Full core load on an i7-8700k is only 86w, TDP is 95w, thermal load is over 100w. All cpus are like that, usually within ± 10°C. I5-3570k TDP 74w, i7-3770K TDP 77w, thermal differences are quite different with hyperthreading enabled under max usage. I9 9900k TDP 95w, full load over 130w, thermal load 250w.

Last edited:
Reactions: valeman2012

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op.

There is no best chassis. At all. Every person has individual tastes, like not liking RGB or wanting green fans or orange stripes. Every setup is different, like some use liquid cooling with triple fan radiators, some use giant heatsinks, some couldn't be bothered with OC and just use stock coolers. Every situation is different, some want the htpc, some need certain size cases, some want floor placed, some want desk placed.

So there's no case that can fit every criteria for everybody. Cases are very personal, you have to look at it every day, we don't. So you need to get online, search Amazon, newegg, pcpartpicker.com etc and find half a dozen cases you really like the looks of. Then see if they fit your criteria build, needs, wants. You'll end up with 2-3 that are tied and rgsys when you ask opinions as some are better quality, some have better airflow, some have fitment issues you may not know about.

Timmy joe just released a video with the 3700x. I cant find it anymore so i think it was taken down since it was too early. I have the video downloaded so ill screen shot it.

3700x chilled at 4.4ghz (they dont oc much) BEATS a chilled 9900k at 5.3ghz in cinebench r15. Lower clockspeed and same core count with better performance.

Apparently out of the box the 3700x performs within 1-200mhz to the oc speed. The max allowed temp for the 3700x is only 75c tho

fredfinks

Honorable
Buddy, i hate to break it too you, but you are wrong. While some cases with a bottom mounted psu may allow you to face the fan upwards, it doesnt make sense so the s340 doesnt allow this.
The fan up would make the psu blow hot air directly up on your video card and not actually exhaust the air.

Did you say that right?
A PSU's fan is intake. It exhausts out the grille at the back. You either orient it fan down and it sucks crap off the floor or you have it fan up and use the PSU how it used to be - as an exhaust for system air.

Recommend the latter. Filtered air from the front with positive pressure, exhaust out the rear. Tape up the bottom and all the little holes. I even tape up the PCI slot cover holes. Air only out rear fan, GPU vent and PSU. Ive got enough positive pressure that the PSU fan never comes on. (Ideally, have 3x a12x25s at front). The positive pressure is always actively cooling the PSU & GPU. Almost blows a lighter out.

The fan bottom down thing is just some fad that caught on like RGB.
Vents on top of cases are dust collectors.

OP pony up and get a fractal R6. I havent used the meshify but as a guess id say its better than the NZXTs. Whenever i was doing a build with one id have to bend/push the back in to fit the mobo properly. And, always, always a threaded screw in the bag.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS