[SOLVED] What the heck did I just buy? (Sennheiser GSX 1000)

jonte986

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hello!

I received my GSX 1000 today but things didn't quite turn out as expected. Imagine my disbelief when I plug in my headset only to find that the audio quality directly from my motherboard is better! (My headset is an MMX 300 equivalent, the sound of these with my previous xonar u7 was godlike). After some googling I have seen people say things like "well, the gsx 1000 is a big scam", and like, that's fine but I really don't think it is working properly. A sound card almost twice the price of the xonar u7 simply can't be this bad.

When I look at the device manager after plugging in the sound card, I see the GSX 1000 Comm. audio and the Main audio, but there is also an unknown device showing up, which makes it seem like there's some driver issue going on (but there aren't supposed to be any drivers for this?). Moreover, if I take a look at the audio properties of the Headset audio, the only available sampling frequency is 16kHz. Seems unreasonable to me. I think this is a windows issue to be honest but I can't be sure.

Is there a fix for this issue?
Does anyone have any experience with this sound card? Is it supposed to be like this?
I thought sennheiser were one of the good ones.

I'll return it this week if I can't fix it because this is ridiculous, for lack of a better word.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: forgot to mention that the buttons don't really do much, but the volume "knob" is working. It's as if it's not compatible with Windows 10.

Last edited:
Solution
D
Is your Windows 10 fully updated? I haven't used the GSX1000 but I have several USB DACs and as of the update from last year you shouldn't need drivers for any USB audio devices. I'm not even sure you needed the drivers for the GSX1000 before that. Maybe try a different USB port?
D

Deleted member 217926

Is your Windows 10 fully updated? I haven't used the GSX1000 but I have several USB DACs and as of the update from last year you shouldn't need drivers for any USB audio devices. I'm not even sure you needed the drivers for the GSX1000 before that. Maybe try a different USB port?

Solution

jonte986

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I fixed the issue. Basically selected the wrong device. Even though you are using a headset you should set the Main Audio as default even though it shows up as a speaker, and then the headset should be set as the communication device.

Either way, I'm still not very impressed with the audio quality of this thing. I'll try their audio software later and see if I can change the audio profiles a bit. Probably won't buy anything advertised as a "gaming device" again.

Can you recommend me a good DAC if I get a new one in the future?

Edit: Maybe the virtual surround will make it worth it, haven't tried any games yet.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah virtual surround is the only reason to buy something like that. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard that has pretty good virtual surround ( Dolby Headphone ) built in and I use it for most gaming.

You just looking for a DAC or a headphone amp too? What's an MMX300 equivalent?