What The Heck Is A HEIC File, And How Do I Open It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmat9v

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
That is not exactly true. Apowersoft Photo Viewer can display HEIC files. There is also support from XNView.

USAFRet

Titan

For all 3 of us that use XNView. :lol:

HEIC may gain popularity. It may not.
Just have to see what happens.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I wanted Fabrice Bellard's BPG - Better Portable Graphics - format to win. It's free, but uses x264 derived compression so may be subject to the same patent claims as HEIF.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You know this uses H.265-derived compression, right?

There's no question H.265 was an improvement over H.264, so why use H.264?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Not a fan of this. Its another closes source patent ridden format. MPEG seems to get its way every time. How about an open source standard. I'm sure MPEG is giving kickbacks to the CEO's in Hollywood and tech companies to not use open source formats.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Does the tech this has in common with HEVC mean that decoding can be done by the same hardware, or does this rely entirely on software decoding? Wouldn't that be a rather significant con, if so? And wouldn't that limit effective use to relatively new platforms?

Also, in storing more data (including HDR info), does that mean that it can store more than 8-bit color? Wider color gamuts?

alextheblue

Distinguished

What I have read about JPEG 2000 indicated that real gains over JPEG weren't typically that massive, and it was more computationally intensive. That won't be an issue for PCs but I doubt it is hardware-accelerated in current smartphone SoCs, which could be a minor issue if everything has to be done in software.

Anyway JPEG 2000 has other advantages over JPEG, but so does HEIF. Plus practically everything supports (and accelerates) H.265 now, so I imagine HEIF would also benefit. At this point if all the major OS vendors are going to support it (and thus most phones), it will probably succeed - it's already got more traction than JPEG 2000 ever did. But time will tell.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
HEIC has been a PITA. While my phone is running the new ios, my older mac doesn't have HEIC support. I don't care what format wins, but it will probably be the one that has support on older machines.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That's kind of the responsibility of the OS, not the new image format developers. Although if you have an older machine running Windows 10, you'll get support for free when it's available. Tell Apple you want a free upgrade and support for HEIF/HEIC. Maybe they'll mail you a coupon or free t-shirt. ;)

Seriously though I'm sure some third-party software will support it. It's nice to have support baked into the OS but not always 100% necessary.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Older == windows 10? ;) right back atcha!

May 21, 2018
Actually now you can use imagemaigic for offline heic to jpeg conversion. HEIC/HEIF support was added about 2 months ago. Advised in article service doesn't allow to adjust quality of images, for quick convertation I use https://heic2jpeg.com/ , for batch converation (more than 50 images) imagemaigic is a right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS