[SOLVED] What the heck is this?

legendsOfEddie

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016

Above is a picture of a pixel which I thought was dead on my monitor but upon further inspection, it looks like it doesn't even take up a whole pixel. May I ask what that is? And any way to get rid of it?

Solution
Probably not a camera. : P

When I was first reading your post, I assumed it might be a dead subpixel, but looking at the image, it appears to be asymmetrical in shape, and located between pixels. So, I would suspect that it's a piece of debris stuck between layers of the screen, in front of the pixels. If this is a new monitor and was there from the start, it was probably left there during the manufacturing process, and I would try to return or exchange the screen if you find it distracting.
Probably not a camera. : P

When I was first reading your post, I assumed it might be a dead subpixel, but looking at the image, it appears to be asymmetrical in shape, and located between pixels. So, I would suspect that it's a piece of debris stuck between layers of the screen, in front of the pixels. If this is a new monitor and was there from the start, it was probably left there during the manufacturing process, and I would try to return or exchange the screen if you find it distracting.

Solution

legendsOfEddie

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Thank you for your replies! This monitor is fairly new at 2 months old and today was the first time I’ve ever noticed it. Should I still give it a try at returning or exchanging? Because I tried contacting support about dead pixels and they said they wouldn’t take it back unless it was more than 5 and I doubt they would do anything either about a small piece of dust being under the display.