What The Hell?!??!

jay

Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
can't....

Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..

Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....

now this is where is gets weird.........

comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install them
(latest drivers from
nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
installing a new card....

upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
(looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
evertually, cant see a damn
thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what the
monitor can
take (yep we've all done it).

Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
even when getting into the bios
the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
its HELL getting back into
something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it eventually
does with shutting the machine
down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
nuts).

Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
difference.
Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
correctly.......makes no difference.
Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
difference.

When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
games, etc, it never crashes.
Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then I
am back to the beginning again of
trying to boot the machine.....

Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
doughnut)

Jay

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:12:41 +0100, "Jay" <not@home.com> wrote:

>Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
>can't....
>
>Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
>Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
>now this is where is gets weird.........
>
>comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install them
>(latest drivers from
>nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
>installing a new card....

When XP asks for the driver, cancel out. Then double-click on
downloaded .exe to install drivers.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:12:41 +0100, "Jay" <not@home.com> wrote:

>Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
>can't....
>
>Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
>Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
>now this is where is gets weird.........
>
>comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install them
>(latest drivers from
>nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
>installing a new card....
>
>upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
>it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
>(looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
>evertually, cant see a damn
>thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what the
>monitor can
>take (yep we've all done it).
>
>Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
>even when getting into the bios
>the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
>its HELL getting back into
>something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it eventually
>does with shutting the machine
>down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
>nuts).
>
>Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
>Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
>difference.
>Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
>correctly.......makes no difference.
>Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
>difference.
>
>When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
>games, etc, it never crashes.
>Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then I
>am back to the beginning again of
>trying to boot the machine.....
>
>Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
>doughnut)
>
>Jay

This "very" thing happened to me. Let me give a short history of
how...

Date = Approx one month ago..
Event = I was updating from my XP2000 to XP3000
Components then = XP2000+ CPU,, Asus A7M266 m/b,, PC2100 RAM x 512mb,,
Leadtek Ti4200 128mb video card...

Ok, I was going to udpate to an XP3000, with new RAM and motherboard,,
BUT,, I was going to keep the Ti4200 card..

I sold the old m/b, RAM, CPU and a 40Gb HDD to my brother and
promised to get it all installed and running in his PC as part of the
deal.. He also had a GeForce 2 MX and decided to buy an FX5600-XT and
I would put this on the Asus m/b too.. At the time, I simply left my
installation of XP on the HDD and reassembled it with all the other
components, in his case/PSU. Afterall, it was essentially the same
hardware going from my old PC to his so XP should work. It did,, only,
all this garbled graphics appeared. I had a Ghost backup of my entire
system so I tried using this, thinking it was one of my settings - No
difference. I then tried to reinstall XP from afresh - No difference..
I tried everything, in BIOS, In Windows, you name it, I tried it - but
I could not get rid of it... As soon as the PC booted up into any form
of Windows or thereof, away went the graphics, just like you
described...

I then tried the old GeForce 2 card and it ran beautifully, I ghosted
back the backup I had and the PC jumped into life - Perfect. I changed
back to the FX5600 again and Bang,, away it went again.. Ok,, it was
that graphics card and maybe a compatibilty issue with the
motherboard.. I spent 2 days trying to solve it, but No Luck...!!!

In the end, I had to include my Ti4200 as part of the deal and I ended
up trying the FX5600-XT card. All appeared to go well in both PC's,
although I hated the performance of the 5600, so I swapped it for an
FX5700...

Sounds like you have similar problems... I am sure my problem boiled
down to straight incompatability with the motherboard...

jay

OK guys thanks for all the info its been well taken onboard....

although regarding the post about changing the drivers to a previous
version, tried it. dont work....

I think the only possibilities why its having these problems, is either
A) the card has gone to gfx card heaven......
B) its incompatible with the mobo....

either way it dont work.....

Regards,
Jay

"Jay" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
> can't....
>
> Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
> Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
> now this is where is gets weird.........
>
> comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install
them
> (latest drivers from
> nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
> installing a new card....
>
> upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
> it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
> (looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
> evertually, cant see a damn
> thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what
the
> monitor can
> take (yep we've all done it).
>
> Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
> even when getting into the bios
> the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
> its HELL getting back into
> something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it
eventually
> does with shutting the machine
> down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
> nuts).
>
> Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
> Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
> difference.
> Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
> correctly.......makes no difference.
> Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
> difference.
>
> When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
> games, etc, it never crashes.
> Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then
> am back to the beginning again of
> trying to boot the machine.....
>
> Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
> doughnut)
>
> Jay

user

Splendid

Change adapter type to standard VGA.
Uninstall Nvidia driver AND old graphics driver..
If needed download one of the many Nvidia Driver removal tools to get
rid of driver.

After doing all that try re-installing the driver.

I would recomened the 45.23 driver for the card as the newer ones have
some problems..

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:12:41 +0100, "Jay" <not@home.com> wrote:

>Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
>can't....
>
>Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
>Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
>now this is where is gets weird.........
>
>comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install them
>(latest drivers from
>nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
>installing a new card....
>
>upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
>it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
>(looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
>evertually, cant see a damn
>thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what the
>monitor can
>take (yep we've all done it).
>
>Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
>even when getting into the bios
>the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
>its HELL getting back into
>something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it eventually
>does with shutting the machine
>down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
>nuts).
>
>Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
>Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
>difference.
>Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
>correctly.......makes no difference.
>Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
>difference.
>
>When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
>games, etc, it never crashes.
>Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then I
>am back to the beginning again of
>trying to boot the machine.....
>
>Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
>doughnut)
>
>Jay

You wouldn't happen to be running a P4 with a SiS motherboard chipset, would
you?...

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:

"Jay" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
> can't....
>
> Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
> Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
> now this is where is gets weird.........
>
> comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install
them
> (latest drivers from
> nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
> installing a new card....
>
> upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
> it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
> (looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
> evertually, cant see a damn
> thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what
the
> monitor can
> take (yep we've all done it).
>
> Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
> even when getting into the bios
> the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
> its HELL getting back into
> something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it
eventually
> does with shutting the machine
> down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
> nuts).
>
> Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
> Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
> difference.
> Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
> correctly.......makes no difference.
> Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
> difference.
>
> When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
> games, etc, it never crashes.
> Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then
> am back to the beginning again of
> trying to boot the machine.....
>
> Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
> doughnut)
>
> Jay

Specifically, which driver did you install?

--
DaveW

"Jay" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Wonder if any of you techies can work this one out, because I surely
> can't....
>
> Got hold of a GeForce 4 MX440SE..
>
> Slapped it in comp, changed bios, to boot from agp instead of internal....
>
> now this is where is gets weird.........
>
> comp boots no problem, xp asks for drivers for geforce card, I install
them
> (latest drivers from
> nvidia site for this model of card).....comp reboots as normal after
> installing a new card....
>
> upon next boot xp windows screen comes up, well, how can I put
> it,,,,corrupted, mess of lines,
> (looks kind of in 3d in a strange sort of way), boots into windows
> evertually, cant see a damn
> thing, looks like someone has altered the resolution of windows to what
the
> monitor can
> take (yep we've all done it).
>
> Now, rebooting for the 3rd, 4th, etc time, this is what I cant work out,
> even when getting into the bios
> the text looks jumbled (imagine the matrix screensavers we have all seen),
> its HELL getting back into
> something that resembles a viewable windows screen again, but it
eventually
> does with shutting the machine
> down(hard boot or soft boot) and booting again (at that point im going
> nuts).
>
> Things I have already tried to overcome this problem.....
> Flashed bios on motherboard just in case it was that......makes no
> difference.
> Removed geforce card, put it back in, checking that it was seated
> correctly.......makes no difference.
> Played around with different version of nvidia drivers......makes no
> difference.
>
> When I actually get into windows, the card runs fine, really nice card for
> games, etc, it never crashes.
> Then I face a reboot of some kind, for example installing software,,,,then
> am back to the beginning again of
> trying to boot the machine.....
>
> Any help on this would be REALLY appriciated (and you'll get a free
> doughnut)
>
> Jay

jay

Now how did you guess that.......?

Yep I am, but I have found the fault, dodgy card, got a replacement
working fine now :)

Just out of curiousity why ask if i was using a sis chipset?

Jay

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:34:56 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:

>Make sure that if you're running on an Intel chipset that you get the
>Intel Application Accelerator.

That depends if you are using a Sata RAID controller or which chipset
you have. On 865 and 875 mb's you can only install IAA if you are
using the sata raid controller. You can use an older version of IAA on
845 etc. mb's. But sayig make sure to get IAA is not true because it
is not a necessary component.

Educated guess. Early SiS P4 chipsets like the SiS648 have been known to
dislike certain video cards, such as the Radeon9700 (9800 works fine,
however).

So yes, it could be a dodgy card, or a picky mobo. The solution is to
replace one of them. :)

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing: