what the hell

G

Im networking 2 computers that dont see each other. I dont have them connected to a hub, i just ran the cat. 5 utp cable to the laptop and the other end to the desktop computer...The destop has win98se on it and the laptop has win me on it. I got them on the same work group name, and the destop can see itself on the network in the workgroup name i gave them, but the laptop isnt showing up... I also noticed that on the network card on the desktop has 2 lights, one that would flash if info was sent across the network and one that show a physical connection, none are lit up at all, is this because i dont have them connected to a hub, because i made sure 50 tims that the rj-45 connector was in there, and it wiggles a little up and down, but not side to side, would that be a problem? I also have installed file sharing on the two..

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, first thing I'd check is are you using a 'patch' cable, or the regular cat-5 twisted pair cable? If you don't have a patch cable, you can either crimp one yourself or go down to the local computer hack shop and get them to make you one.

Oh, IPX/SPX will be a little faster, and usually syncs up faster for me anyways.....

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah...he's using regular CAT5 cable ("straight through"). Either go out and buy a crossover CAT5 or you could simply rewire the straight through. I've done this to convert a null-modem cable to a serial cable. Make sure you solder the joints though.

Here's the schematics:

1 = TX+
2 = TX-
3 = RX+
6 = RX-

Straight Through
1------>1
2------>2
3------>3
6------>6

Crossover:
1------>3
2------>6
3------>1
6------>2

Good luck!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
You can have a regular Cat-5 on a Peer to Peer connection you just need to buy a Crossover adapter it looks like one of those telephone line extenders but for Cat-5 connectors. Then buy a short Cat-5 Patch cable. Plug em in and make sure your client computer has Autodetect Ip Address, DHCP enabled etc. Then your ready to ROCK! ;-)

Dantin

FatBurger

Illustrious
A peer to peer connection does not have a client computer.

For peer to peer you need to specify the IP, Subnet, etc. for each computer.

Client server is easier, just make sure DHCP is enabled on the server and reboot all the machines (unless you have XP, which can fill in DHCP on the fly).

Also, it helps to share an internet connection (if there isn't one present, make one up in Dial-Up Networking and don't enable on-demand dialing), so you can play TCP/IP games.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

i could try one of those, how much does one cost and where could i get it? best buy maybe, or just a local computer store?

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Is about $2-$3 at a Local ISP or Wireless office. Look in your yellow pages for a Network Parts supplier or Computer Hardware dealer. Call them up first and ask if they have a crossover adapter and a short Patch cable Cat-5. They'll hook ya up. As for what Fat Burger said true there isn't a Client associated with a peer to peer connection Just make sure all systems can find each other. As for my home system I have a Host / Client on a Peer to peer because my host system has my Dial-up Connection and my client shares this connection. There is software out there the emulates DHCP and works on various OS's. I currently have my Win2k(host) working with win98(client) Sharing internet no less. Otherwise it had no problems using WinRouter Lite. Very nice software. Hope that helps you.

Dantin

P.S. What Fat Burger Mentioned is only if your transfering Files and Printer Sharing. If you want to get your internet shared you'll need some software to help relay IP's to your "client" computer.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Host/client and peer-to-peer are mutually exclusive. Looks like you're running a host/client network. You using DHCP? Then it's a host/client network. If not, then it's per-to-peer.

If you want to get your internet shared you'll need some software to help relay IP's to your "client" computer.

Right, that software is called Windows.
I'm typing this right now on a client/server network with shared internet connection and no third party software (and yes, I set it up all by myself). Don't try to say I don't know what I'm talking about, since I've obviously done all this before.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink: